1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen LED lighting

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pelican, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I took a good look at Whelen's new LED lights in their booth at the Conex show. They have improved them from the originals by adding a lens that disperses some light to the side so they are effective from points other than directly in front of or behind.

They are also programable in 14 different flash patterns, all self contained and need no power packs like strobes. There are a number of different sizes and colors available. I found them to be as bright as the strobes, though the rep said on a light meter they are not. They don't draw as much power as halogens or strobes and are less costly than strobes.

When you're outfitting your plow truck with warning lights, you might want to consider these.
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I like the fact that they have no power packs and that the life expectancy is much better then a strobe bulb. I will definately be using them next time I outfit a truck. As well as using them for warning lights they can also be used for signal and tailights.
  3. GMCplow

GMCplow Junior Member

Code 3 also offers LED lighting. And you're right about the benefits of LED lighting. Very low amp draw, attention getting brightness (and a strobe-like distinct pulse between cycles). The Code 3 units also have programmable patterns (depending on model), usual colors, variety of sizes, mounting choices - interior or exterior, etc. Code 3 is also addressing the issue of side visibility through optics. I saw a demonstration of an all LED lightbar a few weeks ago which had excellent 360 degree visibility.

Less costly than strobes? I would disagree on that. Seems to me that's the biggest drawback to the LED's so far - still a bit on the pricey side with not much of a used market (yet). But, you often get what you pay for.

Most of the units carry a five year factory warranty. Although from what I have seen so far you wouldn't be too likely to need to put in a warranty claim. I've seen a variety of lighting products through a unique perspective, and I'm extremely excited about the performance of the LED's. Definitely check them out if you're in the lighting market.

And,... I'm certain Code 3 makes a model that will fit on a uni-body jeep with leather steering wheel and cupholders! (I couldn't resist!) :)
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I haven't seen the light bars yet, other than the traffic director and message boards that Whelen has for their Edge series. Is there a web site available to see them?

The cost of replacement bulbs on the strobes is cheaper, but when you weigh the cost of the whole strobe package, (bulb assemblies, power packs, cables and switching) I think you'll find the LEDs are less expensive (one light gauge wire and simple toggle).

As Ctfireman mentioned, these are also available as stop/tail/turn assemblies that have been proven in the trucking industry for the last ten years. While initial cost is about 5 times that of a standard buld assembly, the fact that these lights are virtually indestructable makes them attractive. Less down time due to repairs and DOT stops. From what I understand, the only reason you'll need to replace one is due to accident damage.

I'll bet as more and more people start using them, the costs will come down. I see Cadillac is using them as stop/tailights on a few models now too. I plan to add a couple to the rear corners of my truck for side warning when backing in to the street.
  5. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

If you guys are looking for whelen LED's, for around $50 check out this link on sirennet. http://store.yahoo.com/sirennet/wh52fblfrr.html

I've been looking for a reason to buy some of the LED's, but have enough strobes already. The link for the light i posted, those can be setup on a flasher, or as turn signals also.

The red and yellow LED's are the cheapest, blue and green are the most expensive (very costly).

If one stopped by the AW Direct Booth, they had self contained LED's and self contained strobes.

Pelican01- on the 28th, there's going to be a landscaping equipment show at the hartford civic center for the Connecticut Grounds Keepers Assoc.

6. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

i am really starting to like the leds, we have them on our new ambulance and like them, u can view a pic at http://www.stslawncare.com/ambulances.htm not the best pictures but it was the day after i got my digital, ill put some better ones on there soon. btw the entire back lightbar are the leds
  7. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

i have a set mounted to rear of dump. very nice. bought them from A W DIRECT. work very well and easy wiring. compared to a strobe system.
  8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Good one GMCplow!:D

Our newest ambulance has these lights on the rear, the brake lights flicker a few times before they go to steady burn. They really catch your attention.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone is devoloping a LED replacement for the 1156 and 1157 light bulbs. They would be more expensive but should last the life of the vehicle.
  9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I brought this one back because my prediction has come true. I just saw today 1157 & 1156 LED replacement bulbs in a catalog from Iowa80.com. I wanted to provide a direct link but can't get the page to come up. The 1156 runs $15 and the 1157 is $30. I would think if you installed them with dielectric grease, you'd never have to worry about a light outage again!

Next prediction: 3156 & 3157 are soon to follow.
  10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

I bought the whelen slimlighter last year off ebay. It has different programable flash patterns and just suctions on the window. I have a whelen strobe system in all four corners of the truck, but i wanted to get the slimlighter for the dash so you could see a LED strobe when looking directly at the truck with the plow up. its incredibly bright and looks really good.
  11. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Yes, the 1156 and 1157 LED lights are available. APC (one of the companies that sells a lot of the neon and other accesories for these little jap cars) sells them and I know that most AutoZone stores have them in stock.
  12. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

if you guys want to see some led light bars go to www.truckntow.com they have some in there latest catalog. very pricy 48" bar is over$1,700 a 48"tow bar is $1,899.
  13. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I've been buying LED lights from a vendor on eBay. As a rule I'm getting them around 30-40% of retail cost. He has had the self contained "strobe" type as well as stop and tail. amber stop & turn and several styles of clearance light. Do a search by seller for "asaddie" and see what he has to offer at any given time. Stuff comes and goes but he seems to have a decent assortment over time.
  14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Alan, what brand are you buying? I've been looking for better prices on Whelen's offerings.
  15. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I've looked all over the internet and the cheapest price i could find for the Whelen 500 series LED was $56 per unit (for red or yellow). Here's the link-LED's

I have enough lights on my truck now, i just bought a used arrowstick for the rear window. Just waiting for the plug to install it.

Got lights? :nod:

16. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I think everything I've bought has been Trucklite. I've gotten both round and oval stop/tail assemblies as well as amber strobes and both red and amber clearance lights.
  17. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

At EXPO 2002 in Louisville I found a company called TMI selling the led lamps.... they were bright! prices were cheap. The most expensive lamp on the sheet was $55.95 all lights available in red, amber, white, blue, or green.