1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen L50 Super-LED Beacon

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Woodland, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Model number is L53. Anybody have one? Thoughts? I'm looking for an inexpensive beacon for my tractor. I have just a couple of driveways near the shop so I don't want to go crazy but I want something bright enough the get notice. I like the LED option since I don't know how much juice the tractor can spare.

I checked the Whelen website but they don't list any useful specs on light output.

2. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

the l53 is a class 3 beacon they are ok but they are more for forlifts and such i would go with noting less than a class 2 led beacon

3. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Ah, so I assume class 2 is brighter and as such, class 1 would be brighter still? I was thinking it might be the other way around.

4. beaver2

beaver2 Member

off topic, but...

Can anyone explain class 1, 2, and 3? I've always wondered what the criteria is for being rated.

5. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

Get the L 52 or L 51

6. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

the class system is set by SAE it rates the out put and such some equipment is required to meet a sae standard and some states requir it

7. beaver2

beaver2 Member

thanks clears it up a bit.

8. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

there is a lot to the sAE raiting check there website

9. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I tried that, but near as I could tell, you had to pay like $45 to download the standard.

10. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

That beacon is just horrible. It is literally 1 led in the middle of the light. We had one on a UTV plow, not good at all, ended up ripping it off and putting an autozone $15 rotating light. Thats how bad it was

11. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

it used to be free at one.

i put an l50 on on a bob cat not bad at all.