1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen ION LEDs

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Fire_n_Ice, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Does anyone have any experience with Whelen's new product called the "Ion"? I have ordered four of them in all amber (they are available in split color). My plan is to put them on the running board posts. Just curious of anyone has used these yet?

2. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

They look a lot like soundoffs ghost leds.
  3. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

I have not worked with them before. Was thinking about adding LED's to my step up bar posts as well. Would love to see how it looks.
  4. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

they are bright and more for direct on than side warning
  5. jpar247

jpar247 Member

I bet the LINZ6 put out way more light, they also can do split colors
  6. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

they are a brighter than the LINZ6 they are built for head on lighting. not for off axxis
  7. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I saw those a t the strobe shop when I was down their the other day, how much did they run you??
  8. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

if whelen is trying to compete with sound off they are doing it well. These are pretty nice lights. Done a fair amount of them already.

prices should be around 80 per....but not from me of course..i don't sell on plowsite..
  9. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

George, where are these being installed, for the most part. I realize they can go "anywhere", I'm just curious where alot of people are putting them.
  10. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Thats a TIR style light, same brightness head on, but the linear's are far brighter off axis.
  11. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

They appear to be TIR style LED, they should put out the same light as LIN6 (same generation and number of LED's no?), just may be less effective when viewing off axis though.

Yeah, they do look very similar to the Sound Off Ghost lights.
  12. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

They are great lights and the nice think about them is they are very thin top to bottom so with the smaller grills they work out nicely. They are very bright and we have done numerous installed in grills and under rearview mirrors. They also offer the in a surface mount version as well. We have them all on the web site. They do not offer the split patterns like the LINZ6s.
  13. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

They do offer the Ions in split pattern/color. The demos I just looked at today were red/blue and amber/clear. FINALLY placed my order today, I'm sticking with amber/amber.
  14. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Yes they have splits in different colors, but unlike the LINz6s the all red are not available in a split red/red. Sorry if I caused any confusion.