1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen hideaways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mdb landscaping, Feb 8, 2003.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Well, yesterday i think my 90 watt whelen powerpack went south. was plowing all morning with em, and went inside to get something to drink and came out and they werent on. when i press the button, the pack makes a weird noise and flashes once. i know the connectors arent wet. i called the dealer and he said he thinks it went bad. anybody know what the warranty is on the powerpack? i had it installed a little over a year ago, and i barely used em last season.
  2. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't have the literature handy at the moment, but I think that you can mail the unit back to Whelen (and you might be close enough to their place to take it to them) and they can give you an idea of what it will take to fix. I would assume they can also address the warranty issues.
    If you need the info, I'll see if I can dig it up. Let me know if you do.

Edit -- Found this on the Whelen Site

To Return an item for service or repair:
    Ship to:
    Whelen Factory Repair
    Building B
    Route 145, Winthrop Road
    Chester, CT 06412-0684

Please include:
    A copy of the sales receipt if qualified for warranty coverage.
    A short description of the problem.
    Your name, return address and daytime phone number.

For complete warranty and repair information, refer to your Whelen User Direct Warranty statement or contact Whelen Engineering
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2003
  3. mdb landscaping

i had hartford truck equipment install it, so on monday im going to take it up there and have em look at it. if its under warranty, im hoping theyll just give me another one to put in. if its not under, ill just have em install another one i guess. i found all my plow literature etc, and have everything except for the warranty card. i dont think i was given it, so i dont know how many years its covered for.
  4. nben

nben Senior Member

Whelen has been excellent on repairs for us. It usually takes two weeks or so and the prices are reasonable. We have a spare power supply on the shelf, so if one dies we don't have to be without lights while the unit is being repaired. FYI, I don't think that Whelen will give you a new power supply if it is under warranty. They probably will want to repair the one that you have.:waving:
  5. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

Have sent numerous powersupply's over the years and Whelen
    usually will send you a repaired one, however it is almost the
    same price as a new one.

If it is bad, you may want to consider going with the new style
    or different model. All power supplies have the same
    connections, and with the newer one you can change the
    flash pattens, or even pick which strobe heads you want on.

Be careful to at least buy the same wattage, or higher..
  6. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I just had 3 Whelen strobe packs repaired. It took a little over a week to get back and cost $55.00 each. LOL:)
  7. affprop

affprop Junior Member

Speaking of strobes, I bought 2 hideaway strobe kits last year slowed down enough so I could install them, you guys talk about your kits being 90-95 watts mine are only 60 watts will they work or should I upgrade? The kits were 195.00 from Antons fire and rescue supply place I cant return them cause it has been over a year.
  8. mdb landscaping

60 watts will run 4 strobes fine. i know several people with 60 watt systems. from what i hear, you dont want to run more than 4 strobes with a 60 watt unit. i sprung for the 90 watt one because i guess i have some thing about haveing more power lol:D
  9. nben

nben Senior Member

60 Watts will be fine. Be carefull where you put the hide-aways. Maine title 29 is pretty specific on lighting laws. Might be worth looking into if you care about being legal. Of course, if you are on private property, it doesn't matter:waving: