1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen hideaways

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Bulldozer, May 21, 2008.

1. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

How much room do you need so the plastic dosen't melt?

Does Whelen make the 500 series in a back up lamb and is it very bright

Thank you for your help.

Philip

2. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

It's really hard to say how much room you need, it depends on the power of the supply and the size of your lamp that you're mounting it in. As a rule of thumb, you need an inch of clearance all the way around the bulb, but even with that, the lamp size itself can still be too small. Can you tell me the supply and also what kind of truck and what location the lights are going in?

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Length of time running is also a factor. If its for plowing and will be on for hours I would have more concern then if it is for say FD response where it will only be on for a few minutes.

4. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

I was thinking of using the 60w or 90w whelen in clear. It would be used for plowing and general warning in the summer.
    I was hoping to put it in the lower right amber light as I don't think there is a way to put in upper. I am trying to get side warning
    as far forward as possible.
    It is a 2001 GMC 3500, if you can see through the salt and sand :bluebounc

Or is there a better way?

I think that I am going to put whelen 500 series strobes in the back.

Thanks for your help.
    Philip

100_0194.jpg

100_0194.jpg

5. gmcsierra1500

gmcsierra1500 Senior Member
    from CT

I would get amber bulbs and put them in the middle clear section of the bottom light, i believe thats the turn signal, i put them there on my 2001 sierra and they look great, you get good side warning and i dont have to worry about melting the lense after running them for long periods of time, ive also installed them in the daytime running light housing on a friends suburban, we just used the factory hole in the DRL lense, only down fall to these two places is the light reflects off the blade

6. BlueLine Ent

The tiny far right amber light is too small, we have ours in the main turn signal chamber, to the inside of the 3157 bulb. We use clear and it is very bright and spread wide, and does not melt.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  7. fordplowkid

fordplowkid Member

i was wondering the samething for my 97 f350 i want them in the head lights and tails lights. how much do u think that would run around installed

8. BlueLine Ent

I'm not sure the going rate around your area, but 4 bulbs/90 Watt would be $450-500 around here from someone other than the truck dealers who would rape you for $750-900.

9. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Phil, I am looking at the same spot on mine and I am thinking because of heat in that small space I am going to try ecco led's

Good luck.

10. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

nova actually makes the ecco led's. how much do they want for the ecco's

11. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I haven't shopped much but the plow dealer has a display on the counter with clear and amber. Clear seems quite a bit brighter. He said in passing that they were $ 130 ea.