1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Hideaway strobe problem!

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Drottlawn, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Hopefully someone can help? My problem is sometimes my strobes will turn on and later turn off on their own. The length of time varies from a couple minutes to 2 hours. Also sometimes I can't get them to turn on at all. Just yesterday, I arrived at my first job and went to turn them on and nothing:realmad:. I left them on a couple of minutes and then slowly they started working. The whole time they are not working I can hear the box making the :)dizzy:sqigglely sound)???noise, but not like the normal noise while they are working. I saw in one post that the light connections need to be sealed. Could this be my problem as they are not. I have had this problem since I installed them 2 years ago. I just haven't worried about it to now, since I have plenty of time on my hands.
    I have a 90w whelen box and 4 tubes.
    Any help would be appreciated!
  2. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

make sure all your connection are sealed tubes power supply etc .. moisture with make them shut off and turn on strangely ... my able 2 system doesn that ..
  3. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Based on what you've said about not having them sealed and the sound the supply is making, I would bet my truck that you need to seal all the outside connections properly. Look around this sub-forum, I know theres a good thread on how to seal them.
  4. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

I just did mine in my 07 I'll get a pic and post it later
  5. harley hauler

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  6. ronnie dobbs

ronnie dobbs Junior Member

I had the same problem until i went back and put di-electric grease on all outside connections.
  7. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Thanks for all of the replies. I will try greasing them up and sealing them when it gets a little warmer out. I will post later to let you all know!:waving:
  8. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

dielectric grease inside connections silicone the outside thats whati did so far so good
  9. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I just used silicone on the outside connections.
  10. boa74

boa74 Junior Member
    from RI

Hide away's

I am having the same problem as Drottlawn for a while the lights would flash the it seemed like they would lockup and I could hear like a hissing now when i flip the switch i just hear a strange noise and no lights but the fuse is not blowing what should I check?
  11. harley hauler

I can almost guarantee that the pin connectors on your rear strobes are getting corroded I had the same problem that's why I went the route I did in my previous post with the pics since I've done that absolutely no problems

OSLIGHTS Member
    from Florida

Ok, here is your problem. The Whelen box will shut itself down, and or act eradically if it detects a short. The short would be in the areas from your bulbs to the box. As everyone is saying, most commonly on you snowzone guys, this will be moisture getting in at the AMP connectors at the bulbs. As they say, use dielectric grease, then tape them up good. When water or snow goes across the little metal clips inthe AMP connectors, it shorts them out and the power supply shuts down to protect itself. You could also have pinched a wire, or burnt a strobe cable on your exhaust r something, but my $$ would be on the AMP connectors at the bulbs. Good luck, and let us know what happens.
  13. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Boa if you can't get em working or just don't feel like doing it yourself, give me a call I'll get you taken care of.
  14. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Well, I sealed them up and put dielectric grease throughout the insides of the connections. We are supposed to go salting tonight, so I will see if it works. As of right now, being dry, they work fine. Thanks again for all the replys and I will let you know if it works tomorrow.:waving:
  15. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

They worked flawlessly!!!! Thanks again guys!
  16. FteNelson

FteNelson Member

Heres another one

ive got a 90watt x 6 head pack only 4 bulbs work. the other 2 are trying to flash but it seems like there not getting the power

the bulbs all ohmed out fine so i know the bulbs are fine

and i just put a new power pack in the brain fried in my old one :dizzy:

any idea's ?
  17. ronnie dobbs

ronnie dobbs Junior Member

Double check all your connections for the failing sets, try plugging in the "failing" heads into the ones that work properly. Example,if say the front two work fine, but the back two do not, try plugging the "back two leads" into the front two sockets on the power supply. Do you already have all of it installed? Make sure the colored wires did not get crossed when connecting them. Hope this helps.
  18. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

So you're saying the 2 that are a problem now were fine before you put in the new power pack or they were already having this problem prior to that? if it's a new problem coinciding with the new power pack, is the pack adequate for that amount of heads? perhaps try disconnecting two of the other heads and see if the 2 problem one start working.

19. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

did you check if you put a screw through the wire and and it messed all the strobes up
  20. Ladder15

Ladder15 Junior Member

I have had similar experiences with Whelen hideaways... I have found that over time the main power connections (battery terminals) oxidize. When my strobes start acting funky, I completely clean the battery connections and the problem goes away - for another year or so.
    Just my .02