1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whelen hide aways

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by PabstBlueRibbon, Mar 26, 2011.

1. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

Does anyone know the hole size you need to drill for the press in strobes? Im upgrading head lights and would like to know so I can take the correct size drill bit from work.

2. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

1" hole saw works the best, try and stay away from the 1" paddle bit.

3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Go on the Whelen web site they will usually give dimensions of the lights your installing.
    I used a hole saw on me vertex's and then lightly filed.
    Make sure your placement is correct on the height

4. PabstBlueRibbon

what you mean on the height?

I have to mess around with my truck cause they are mounted on top of the main headlight and I want to move them to the ambers but because ford is a pita i have to cut some metal out of there to get it to fit.

5. REDLYNE

REDLYNE Inactive
    from NY

Depending on the model I would bring home a 7/8" and a 1" just to make sure you have what you need.

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have a hole saw I have specially for haws and laws. I put the end on my bench grinder and ground the flared end down to its actually 1 inch. Not a 1 1/16".

7. PabstBlueRibbon

i got a 1" one

8. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I thought I remember reading somewhere that there is a recommended height of the stobe in relationship to truck light. If I can find it I will post.

9. PabstBlueRibbon

its top mounted. dont really have a lot of room the the obs headlight assemblies. Used plenty of RTV so I should have no leaks.

10. kingquadplowman

kingquadplowman Junior Member
    from SW WI

The 1" hole is correct. But one tip to add is : if you have all plastic to drill through, don't drill. Take a torch and heat up the hole saw really hot and just press into the plastic. That way it will be a clean hole, and no pieces of plastic in the head light assembly. It works really slick!! It might take a couple trys but it sure beats trying to get all the crap out of there!

11. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

drilling is no big deal. after i drill the lights, i use compressed air to blow any chips and shavings out of the assembly. i spend about 5 minutes blowing through the headlight bulb hole and the newly drilled hole going back and forth while rotating the light housing. everything comes rite out

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

While I agree with you on getting the shavings out of the housing being a pain in the butt. I don't like the idea on heating up the hole saw. If if it drips inside the lens you wont be getting that out. Also if you don't have a steady hand your hole will end up all fubared and you'll be in a worse predicament then you would with just drilling a hole and taking a air hose or vaccum and getting the shavings out. Just my 2 cents.