1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whelen hide away problem

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by cutbetterthanyo, Mar 6, 2013.

1. cutbetterthanyo

cutbetterthanyo Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone had any idea on whats wrong. I got a 6 light hideaway system from a guy on here a couple yrs ago it worked good it the first truck for about a year. Then every once and a while it will not work. The box is getting power, but no lights. It makes a steady buzzing sound, instead of the regular 'chicka,chicka ,chicka' sound. I took it out of that truck and put it in my new truck this fall, It worked right about 3-4 times now its doing the same thing.

2. vtfireftr

vtfireftr Junior Member

You have a short somewhere.

Go tot the power suplly and pull the connectors one at a time until you isolate the bad tube(s).

The Whelen power supplies have built in short circuit protection.

Make sure the power supply is turned off when you are disconnecting the cables or you will get a major shock!

3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

There may be a bare spot on the wire and it's hitting the frame.

4. cutbetterthanyo

cutbetterthanyo Senior Member

Found it it's a chafed wire.Thanks, guys i didn't relize it would work like that, i thought you had to have 4 or 6 hooked up for the box to work. I wasn't sure if having just 1 hooked up at a time would mess something up.