1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen hide-away corner strobe kit works intermitently?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by jkski, Jan 3, 2013.

1. jkski

jkski Member

I installed a Whelen hide-away corner strobe kit before the 2011/2012 season and it worked great. When the start of the 2012/2013 season started I began having problems where the kit will work for a while then it will stop working altogether or just 2 of the lights will flash? I have the box mounted under my rear seat and it has plenty of air space around it and I can hear it when it is working vs. when it stops. I would say it was a bad ground or something if it never worked but since it will work for a while when I first turn it on, it is hard to believe.
    Any ideas?

2. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Checking the ground is an easy way of ruling something out. Sometimes with condensation that can build up due to the location (hot then cold temps changing frequently in this location) there can be some rust or corrosion build up. Id take it off, wire brush the area again, check to make sure that there isnt a kinked/broken portion of this wire and reinstall. For the time, it would be the easiest and most probable thing to check.

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Go over all the strobe cable and make sure they aren't shorting out on anything. Make sure your ground is good. Make sure ALL the connections are good and tight. Even the ones at the switches and by the box.

4. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

If any

one of the strobe bulbs connections arent water tight and is getting wet it will shut all the lights down. You can either physically check each connection and make sure to silicone seal them if they are not a sealed deutsch type connector that is sealed.. Or spray water at the connections one at a time to see if they shut down. If it does shut them down that connector is getting wet.
    The power supply has a safety that if 1 gets wet it will shut the whole unit down to prevent damage. Strobes do not like water.