1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Hide-A-Way Strobes??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by harley hauler, Sep 26, 2004.

1. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

Hey Fellow Plowers, I'm getting ready for the upcoming season and looking at a set of stobes for my truck, going to retire my magnetic dual strobe, so my question is how much are these units going for these days, and how hard are they to install.

Thanks Guys & Gals (since I know theres a few in here! :) )
    Rick

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

Try Strobesupply.com

3. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Check your state's requirements. Maine requires a minimum (6" I think) diameter 360 degree amber mounted as high as practical on the truck. Local FD got warned for using their red lights on their pick up while plowing. Not for illegal use of the red lights but for failure to display an amber flasher. Here in Maine hide aways alone don't cover the law.

4. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I done a few installs and if you carefully plan where you want to mount the lightheads, wires and power supply, you shouldn't have a problem. The main tool you'll need is a 1" hole saw. Also, get the push-in type bulbs and not the older style that have a 2-screw mounting flange. I got my Whelen kit off eBay for a real good price. If you are going to do it, email me and I'll send you some more info.

Ryan

5. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I know firebarn.com has a nice setup with four heads, wires and control for $189.00 on special. I am looking at a setup from galls to it on one of the trucks.We installed it in a buddies truck but got the 60 watt supply, after a few hours it heats up and malfunctions.we are upgrading his to a 90watt...i know galls is more money but looks like a nicer unit.

6. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Hideaways

I have a set on every truck. Great visibility. I also sell them. 6/90 system w/4 tubes, cables wire & switch for $199 + s&h. I have 4 sets in stock at this price. E-mail me direct at Brian@EmergencyVehicleSolutions.com

7. DJC

DJC Senior Member

8. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I got mine from www.strobes'n'more.com. Those guys will really help you with all your questions. I installed mine myself, only problem was that I should have ordered 20' cables instead of the standard 15'. I have a crew cab truck and the 15' cables would not reach the power supply mounted behind the backseat. I like them. :waving: BOAST

9. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

I love 'em. I have installed them in all three of my trucks. They require you to drill a one inch hole in the back of the lamp and you need to make sure you have the clearance inside where the tube sits, as well as clearance on the outside where the wires come out of it. Also, you need to get weather proof connectors or caulk up the non weather proof connectors to prevent any shorts to the connectors that are exposed to the wet elements. Lots of online places sell them. Installation time will vary on how professional you want the installation to look.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

10. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Strobes are simple to install and basicaly no Maint.. I use PVPARTS.com out of maine he has the best stock around and great pricing.

11. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Your looking at about 280.00 for a 6 head pack and 6 heads. I bought all my stuff off of Ebay from Fire and Safety outfitters. They stock everything and have decent prices.

12. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Strobes in stock

I can do a complete set for $199 + s&h. I have 4 in stock and accept PayPal of credit cards direct. E-mail me direct at rcpd34@comcast.net or Brian@EmergencyVehicleSolutions.com for info or to order. These are brand new systems and completely covered by mfg warranty.

Thanks!

Brian Paul
    Freestate Services, LLC
    P.O. Box 1515
    Rockville MD 20849
    301-963-5880
    Nextel National Direct Connect 164*71*315
    www.EmergencyVehicleSolutions.com

13. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

what do you do if you have an older truck, with sealed beam headlights?? The tail lights are no problems, but I don't see a place in the front to install them. Or can you drill into the sealed beam??

thanks,
    Joe

14. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Turn signals

I put hem in the turn signal housings of my '90 Blazer and they work great. They flash amber that way too which I like better.

Brian

15. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Check out a new sponsor - Nancy Talbot of Strobesupply.com. Last time I did business with her, she wasn't selling Whelen, but she had NOVA.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  16. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

I just found the solution for those of us that have sealed beam headlights, and want to use hideaway strobes.

On ebay, they are selling conversion kits that convert the sealed beam lights into projector style, two peice set ups, using the new twist in bulbs.

I got a pair for my truck for 50 dollars shipped, and there is plenty of room to drill for the strobes.

17. Strobesupply

Strobesupply Junior Member

Plowsite Specials up on the site.

Hey all,

I am finally almost done putting the Plowsite Specials on the website. I tried to pick many different options for different budgets but I am sure that I missed some things. If there is something that you don't see and would like pricing on, shoot me an email and I will put something together for you.

Not all of the Options have links yet, but they should be done in the next hour or so.

Check it out here

Thanks everyone - Nancy :)