1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Hide-a-way LEDs in new body style chevys

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by ExecutiveLawns, Sep 14, 2008.

1. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns Member

Hey guys I want to install the whelen led hide a ways in my trucks but im not sure where exactly is the best place for them ad far as in the head and tail lights. Has any installed these before on the '07 and '08 chevys? Does any one have pics of where they are installed? Also i dont know what length cables and what color leds i need. I would be installing them on a reg. cab long box, ext. cab short box, and a crew cab short box.

Any help is greatly appreciated as for the local dealer says they have no idea and doesnt want to get into them for they melted a head light on a new chevy last year with the strobes(which the strobes get hot but not the leds)

2. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I'd install this setup in each truck if you want to go stealth mode. lol

for each side of the truck:
    1 LED in the tail lights
    1 LED in the backup
    1 LED in the head lights
    ....so you would have a total of 4 LEDs in the rear of each truck.....
  3. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns Member

Can you do that with the LED hide a way kit? From my understanding there is only 4 ports to plug into. That would look nice and maybe you can slice an additional led into each tail light but i would like each led in the tail light to be in sync with the opposite led on the other tail light. Is this possible?
  4. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

i my self have not been doing hide-a-ways in the newer trucks as much due to the double wall . i mostly go with TIR/LIN3 in the grill
  5. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I would not do them in the tail lights. Blinking red most likely is illegal on any vehicle other than police and fire. Also white is illegal in most states facing the rear so if you are going to do the backup light use Amber.
  6. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

use 2 set ups, one for the rear, and one for the front, that way they will be in sync and you can isolate them front to rear.
  7. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I have them in the brake and backup lights in my '08 and they look great. Nobody bothers you in my area.
  8. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

9. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Did you put any in the front?
  10. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

use the vertex its all self contaned and only has 22ga wire its like doint a tir3 in the grill but insted its a hidaway
  11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I'll second this, i like how you can put as many of these together as you want as opposed to Whelens original LED hideaways that utilized a powerpack....and like FFD said, it's just like wiring up the TIR or LIN 3's.
  12. Malakas82

Malakas82 Member

u dont need 2 different set ups to sync them....u can change around which ones flash in sync by plugging them into different ports on the controller...i have one in each headlight and i put the rear ones in the reverse lights, the flashing red is illegal and putting the white ones in the reverse lights keeps them nice and bright...never had a problem and i know tons of guys that plow with the 4 corner strobes and yellow beacons...cops never say anything
  13. Malakas82

Malakas82 Member

oh and white lights are not illegal..they are the most neutral color and any cop harassing u for flashing white is doing it to be a dick
  14. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

You're wrong. It totally depends on the state. Here in MD, you can only use amber. You can usually get away with whites in your reverse lights, but if you're flashing them to the front you will likely get stopped. Interestingly enough, putting strobes in the red brake lights never seems to draw any attention here.
  15. Malakas82

Malakas82 Member

oh wow..totally opposite here...unless ur doing highway construction flashing red in tail lights will get u pulled over..but u can have white or amber flashing all the way around with no problem in the midwest
  16. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I'm not surprised. That's why I said it varies from state to state. Canada uses blue on plows. Go figure.
  17. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

here in new york white light to the rear is illegal. not to mention if you drive with them on you will blind anyone behind you. flashing red or amber to the rear is fine, it's no different from a signal light. as far as the front anything but amber is illegal. with that said if your plowing, noone is going to bother you.
  18. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Blue atleast in this part of Canada, is for registered city or city hired equipment. Technically only light that can be used is amber, on streets. And even that has limits. Then again private lots, no one can say much.

OSLIGHTS Member
    from Florida

I will say it is a little more difficult to install the Vertex's in the double walled headlights. With the old strobes, you could just install them on the outer piece and the bulb would still stick through the inner piece. With the Vertex, they are very short, so you have to enlarge the outer hole, to get them inside to the inner layer. A little more difficult, but well worth the trouble, as they are a great light.
  20. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Only installing the strobes on the outer wall and having just a little bit of the tip showing through the inner wall is lazy and half assed anyway if you ask me. I would never do an install like that.....If I paid for a full bulb, I want the full bulb lighting up my light, not just the tip. Guess thats what makes the difference between hacks and pros.... :realmad: Of course its more work and takes more time, but thats called doing it right. :nod: