1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen Edge?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Mark13, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't see to many whelen edge strobe bars around here. I'm looking at changing up my lighting a bit and have noticed that the edge bars can be found on ebay for a decent price with anywhere from 8-12 strobes and some have the 55 watt work lights. I'm currently running a federal signal dual rotator so I know nothing about the strobe bars besides they catch my attention much more. I'd plan on getting a fullsize bar so I can get more then 4 strobes and 2 work lights in it. Just looking for comments/criticism or what to look out for with them.

Also, how is the flashback off the falling snow with them? I don't want to get one then find out it makes me want to jump infront of a bus from the flashback.

Or last but not least, just hold off and get a whelen justice mini or other name brand mini led bar (20-28")? I also plan to add a hide-a-way strobe kit to my truck sometime here before winter also if that matters to anyone with thier opinion.

If ya got any pictures or video that would be cool also. I searched and found some from previous years.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  2. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

well i still have my whelen 9620 duplex 10 strobe w/ halogen flashers ... there not hard to find ... but there not as common to find as they once were .. i tried to sell mine on here ... and got some (in my opinion) ridiculous offers of $300 $250 etc ..... so i just kept it and through it back on top ..... the one thing i like about whelen edge bars is if you only want warning to the back of you ... you have the option or whole bar can be turned on .......

3. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

i love my EDGE. I like the strobes better than the LED's. seems like if you are not right in line with the LED bar it is just a colored light blinking. I also like the extra set of brake light up high.

DSCI0664.jpg

DSCI0119.jpg

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've noticed that with led's also, very one directional. They are getting much better though.

Btw, where' abouts in NW IL?

5. beaver2

beaver2 Member

I have one on one of my trucks.

Mine is an older model, got it off a surplus police car.

it has two alley lights, 8 strobes, and two really bright halogen worklights that can be switched to alternate. I faced them to the rear becuase I'm more worried about getting rear ended.

It also has a low power mode for heavy snowfall and night use.

6. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

Ahhh the whelen edge its a awsome lightbar for strobe that is braigslist has good deals to

7. J29

J29 Senior Member

Mark, I had a Whelen 9438 full size bar on my last truck. 8 strobes (4 front/4 rear), two rear halogen flashers, takedown and alley lights. I loved the bar. Never had a problem with it, even stood up to quarter size hail once. I did have some problems with flashback during heavy snow, so I would turn the front off. I think if I hadn't used the action flash pattern, it wouldn't have been so bad. I highly recommend one. Hope this helps. J.

8. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

I think there pretty cool i just bought one. Mine is a 10000series blink. mines pretty much the same as the 9000. I wish i had got the one with work lights but i'm putting up back up lights on the bar mount soon as i make it. Mine came with the mpc01 controller. An since my dad works at cat he got me some water proof connectors.Im waiting on 2 lenses then i'll get some pic's of it up and running but i think it will be sweet with my hide a ways.
    nick

truck 009.jpg

truck 010.jpg

truck 011.jpg

9. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Nice bar Nick I just bought the same unit off ebay where did you get yours? Ive got most of mine installed just waiting on lenses

10. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

whats the light under the big orange thing

11. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

it's a dual rotate becan. It's a friend of mine. the power outlet is broke so i'm fixing it. I got mine off ebay too.Hey mark What kind of things did you want the bar to come with?
    nick

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm looking for atleast 2 work lights (2 front, 2 or 4 rear would be great), unsure about the extra stop and turn signals, and everything else strobe. I don't think I need a traffic bar built in.

13. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

here is a few pics of my 10 strobe edge with some additional warning lights ... gotta love whelen lights ..

IMG_5250.jpg

IMG_5251.jpg

IMG_5252.jpg

14. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

just a few hints. if you want to roof mount the Light make shure you get a 52inch bar they sit better and dont rock back and forth and you dont need an extra special strap . if you are gonna use it on a back rack/perm mount a 48inch bar will do.

the 10,000 is ok but verry power hungry

also the Strobe advantedge is a nice bar as well

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It would go on my backrack. What's the deal on the 9000 bars? I see quite a few of them on ebay. Havn't checked craigslist or anything to see what's around here for sale.

16. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

every one now is going to LED

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, I get that everyone is jumping to led, I meant the 9000 series bars in general. I hear so many different "series" of them I was just curious if the 9000 series is the main bar or if its one of multiple series of bars you can get.

18. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

9000 is just the series the numbers are just the way they are set up

the lineage of when bars went 6000,8000,9000

19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

ok so the 9000 bars are the most recent ones?

20. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

they look pretty nice!