1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whelen edge 9000 wiring questions

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by pipelayer, Sep 15, 2014.

1. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

i have an old whelen edge 9000, and after doing a few searches on here and google, i cannot find the wiring diagram for this lightbar, im wondering if anyone has any insight, also, my two lights in the center, which i believe are the takedowns, are amber lenses, can i switch those out for clear lenses? ok, so on to the wiring, i have a large red (power) and large black (ground), then i have 1 small wires.
    white/black, orange/black, yellow/black, red/black

white orange brown green and yellow, blue violet and grey,

then in the same area is one larger white and larger black wire, as well as a bare wire next to the black jacket. i have no pictures, if anyone could point me how to post them i will. im dumbfounded because both wiring diagrams i have found from whelen show completely different wires, and colors, for the same model lightbar. any help is greatly appreciated. i would love to use this on my truck this season!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's your problem?

3. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

Need a wiring schematic on it, and if someone has wired one up just need some insight on where to start. Also, if I hook up 12v power to it will it illuminate like a running light At all?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Where to start what?
    You have a red and black wire pwr and gnd Try it and see what happens

5. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

I did, nothing. Hence my question if I hook power up to it wi it illuminate like a running light on a truck. I took it apart, sort of, no blown fuses or anything. I need a place to start to get the thing to work or wire it into the truck to get it to work properly

6. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

I know for a fact this bar was working prior, because the person I bought it from had it working on their car

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

contact whelen. they will email you the proper wiring diagram.
    the lights with amber lenses are most likely flashers. but you can remove the flasher and amber lenses if you want to use them as takedowns or work lights. that is what i did with the fereral jetsonics. removed the flasher and amber lenses and made the rears work lights.

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

You need to see what modules you have. Once you get that number there are diagrams out there.
    Sounds like you have a UB412 power supply. I am not saying that this is correct but here is what I have. I copied it from accel spread sheet so all the stuff does not line up.

Wire Color Function
    Black Ground
    Black w/white Tracer Ground
    Red Strobe
    Blue Front Wig Wag
    Brown Rear Wig Wag
    Green Left Alley
    Yellow Right Alley
    Orange 12v Steady Burn (Wig Wags)

UB412 Power Supply Input
    Red Power input
    Black Ground
    Brown Flash Pattern const. +12 sequential
    Blue Communications wire
    Green Communications wire
    Violet Low Power
    Gray Control Line outlets 2&3
    White Control Line outlets 1&4
    Output connector UB412 12 PIN
    Brown Anode +
    Red Anode +
    Black Tube Ground
    Black Tube Ground
    Green Trigger 1
    Blue Trigger 2
    White Anode +
    Yellow Anode +
    Black/white Tube Ground
    Black/white Tube Ground
    White/Violet Trigger 3
    Gray Trigger 4

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  9. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

That all seems about right, I did contact whelen and I'm in the process of finding out which schematic I need to properly install this bar, but for the time being, to put temp power to it, could I put 12v to the power and ground then to the white and yellow just to get it to work? I just wanna see something out of it, to start with

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I am assuming you have the UB412.
    So to bench test it make sure you have ALL the grounds connected.
    Connect the Red main power wire(s).
    Brown wire input controls sequence if you have it. Don't need the violet one. That is for low voltage.

To Strobe:
    Connect the Gray input wire to +12v
    Connect the White Input wire to +12v

Alley Lights:
    Connect the Green input wire to +12v for Left Alley light
    Connect the Yellow input wire to +12v for Right Alley light

Take downs:
    Connect the Orange Input wire to +12v

Or to Wig Wag
    Connect the Blue input wire to +12v for front Wig Wag
    Connect the Brown input wire to +12v for rear Wig Wag

Again. Connect these at your own risk cause you never stated what module(s) you have in the bar and I am not there.

Also note the WIG WAG circuit board is separate and not part of the strobe module. So the Brown wire to the strobe module controls the sequence and has nothing to do with the WIG WAGS

11. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

This all sounds correct, other than the 12 pin connector, there's nothing of the sort on this lightbar, it at some point could've been removed

12. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

i got it to work. TJS that was a huge help, but I only took a baby step, by touching grey to 12v power I got the end/center to come on, I believe theyre wig wags, they don't seem to strobe.. I could be wrong, this thing is old. by touching blue to 12v I got the center to come on. id like to get it all working properly, and utilize whichever wiring Is there to get it to strobe and somehow get takedowns in there. that's really all im looking for, nothing crazy, if I can keep the end wig wags, or strobes whichever they are, and eliminate the center, and replace the light heads with takedowns and clear lenses, then I will be more than happy with this lightbar. TJS, since youre only in Fairfield, I owe you a beer buddy

13. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

What module is it inside the bar.

14. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

When I take the bar apart, will there be a clearly marked number on the circuit board, where am I looking?

15. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have a couple of modules I will let go for cheap. They are faster strobing than the older ones. I have to dig in my box of goodies to see what I have. How many strobes do you want. The modules I have control 4 strobes. You can put two modules in one bar. I am going a different route with my custom shortened bar. I have to get back on that project. You have inspired me.
    Here is what the modules looks like. There is a label on these the indicate what the model module is.

[​IMG]

16. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

17. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

milford. since youre only a stonesthrow from me, and I do a lot of work in Fairfield, and surrounding towns. (plumber) would you meet up and show me some stuff with the lightbar modules and how to set them up, this is my first go round with a lightbar ever. ill get you that beer that's owed lol

18. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

No problem.

19. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

send me a PM and let me know what your schedule is like