1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whelen edge 9000 good and bad?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by m.$terner, Mar 20, 2011.

1. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

Hi guys. looking into adding a bar for my 97 chevy. Ive been looking into strobes and I think i want to go with the whelen edge 9m. not sure whether 8 strobes or 12 strobes, probablly 12 just to have it maxed out. anything in particular I should look for on these bars. any good expierences or any bad expierences? looking for feedback from people who have or have had this style lightbar. I know its been around for a while and seems like its been through a bunch of changes from what I can tell.any insight would be very helpful. Thanks

2. REDLYNE

REDLYNE Inactive
    from NY

The edge 9000 is one of the "old school" bars. It requires a direct power source as well as significant amperage through the control wiring to run. If you do not have dual or heavy duty alternators and combine a full size bar with an electric/hydraulic plow setup you may have low voltage issues. Especially if the bar will be on for long periods of time. If purchasing used keep in mind that strobe supplies are expensive, unless you can find other used ones to replace it. You will also be replacing tubes over time.

The edge came in many variants, the biggest differences are LFL(low profile) and normal height bars.

I remove and scrap dozens of these bars every year because agencies simply cant afford to keep them running anymore. However, with that being said if you can get a good deal on one used and don't use it a ton I am sure it will meet your needs. If you are purchasing new unit PM me and I would be more than happy to locate some options that might be a better choice in similar price points.