1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen corner strobe kit not working right, need help?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by jkski, Dec 22, 2013.

1. jkski

jkski Member

I installed a whelen corner strobe kit on my truck about 2 seasons ago and when I went to use it the first time out this season, I hear a loud "pop" noise come from outside the truck kinda like an electrical short but I can't find any issues on the wiring by the bulbs? The system will work just fine for about 1 minute and then I hear the popping sound.
    Any ideas?

2. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Unplug all the strobes at the pack. Turn on outlets 1 and 2 then plug one in at a time till you find the one or two that are causing the issue. When you find them clean all connections especially the ones behind the light housing and coat the with dielectric grease to keep the water out.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, when we ran strobes we always had problems like this.

4. bls47303

bls47303 Junior Member
    from indiana

had that issue once it was a nick in the wire and it was shorting to the frame of the truck. try one at a time like suggested above.

5. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Did you find the problem? I had the same issue. Found a butt connector by the rear taillight that water was getting into. I cut it off and put in a waterproof butt connector and haven't had that problem since.