1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whelen B-link?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by NY_plow_guy, Jan 1, 2010.

1. NY_plow_guy

NY_plow_guy Junior Member
    from CNY

hello. I just got a whelen edge light bar. I am beginning to think its maybe a B-link bar as it only has 4 wires coming out of it total. 2 large wire a red and a black(10-12ga). i believe for powering the bar? and 2 small wires a red and a black (18-22ga wire) i guess i'm wondering how this unit works? From what i understand it needs a controller? is there any way to test this with out one? Its an amber bar i'd like to use on my truck. If it needs a controller and i can't come across one i will put it up for sale if anyones interested in it. it is in good shape without knowing the operating condition.
    thanks austin

2. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

All the BLink equipment I have dealt with has one blue and one gray wire for communications. What is the model number of the bar? Should be a label on the underside of it.

3. NY_plow_guy

from CNY

there are no numbers on the underside. the rear lenses are arrows to the left and right if that is any help to anyone. any where else to look for numbers?

4. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

can you take a pic of the bar and wires

5. SafetyLighting

How many strobe tubes are in it?

6. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

is it the standard edge or a 10,0000

7. SafetyLighting

Paper or plastic?

8. NY_plow_guy

from CNY

it has the 4 corner strobes and 2 on the front. the arrow and the other 2 have the regular halogens(i think thats what they are) in it. it has a circuit board. in it with several fuses in the board. i can get some pics later to night

9. SafetyLighting

That board with the fuses is usually for the arrow halogens. So what do the small gauge red and black connect to in the bar?

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

the bar on my blue truck was the same way sept it had the power and ground, then like 10 small wires to control it all, after messing with the wires i found one of them was a signal wire, and just needed to twist a few together to get the whole bar to work, i hooked it upto switch i got at radio shack so i didnt waist money on a bulky controller.

11. SafetyLighting

Ben, I think you are referring to the activation wires. Those are different than an actual communication style setup.

Where did you find the Ram head avatar you are using? I can't read it, LOL.

12. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

13. SafetyLighting

LMAO, that is great.

14. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

So are you making fun of your own trucks? ? ? ?

15. Indy

Indy Senior Member

he's making fun of uterus's:nono:

16. SafetyLighting

lololololololololol

17. NY_plow_guy

from CNY

ok here are the pics of the light and the wires. I found a date code on it that say 12/92

0102001925.jpg

0102001925a.jpg

0102001926.jpg

18. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Its just a plain strobe bar, hook the larger blk wire to ground and the red to a switched 12volt + supply and it should about blind ya, Look what wires connect the halogens for the arrow stick usually these are negative tripped as my old code 3 was. Nice bar hope you got a good deal on it !

19. NY_plow_guy

from CNY

well if that is the case there there is something wrong with it as i get nothing. i hold the big wire to a battery and get nothing what so ever other than a coulpe of small sparks when i first touch it to the battery. i have checked all the fuses and still get nothing so i'm not sure whats next

20. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

So if you hooked the larger red/black wires to battery and try the smaller red wire to 12+ also see what happens