1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen 90watt strobe install

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by JeepCreepn01, Sep 1, 2007.

1. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 Senior Member
    from Ohio

i have seen one write up alreayd on installing strobes, so i just did mine and decided to do one also
    this is really a straight forward install with pretty much little or no wiring skills you can do this, the only thing not in the kit that you will need is a 1"hole saw bit, zip ties, extra wire, a 15amp fuse pigtail or whatever they call them, and a switch, i wired mine up so they will all work off one switch you can choose 2 or 3, and your favorite beverage.
    first find a spot for your power supply, they recommend mounting on a metal surface due to heat, and i hate looking at anything not factory so i took out part of my back seat and mount there, plus they have a slight sound to them and i didnt wanna hear anything.

the next thing you do is take out you lights and drill your holes, put them and close to the factory bulb as possible because that is the focal point and it will project them more, but do not let them touch them bulb.

running your wires is the next step, every truck band cab size and what not is different so i didnt show my picctures for this step, run them how you want, keeping in mind to stay away from heat sources, keep them up high and make sure to zip tie them so there is no way they could come loose in the futrue.

ok now for the wiring of them switch at first looking at the diagram i was alittle confused but then figured it out, to word it simple on your switch you have 3prongs earth, load supply(negative, lights, postive) since i used one switch both my blue and green wires hook up to my load, my earth with go to my black wire from my box join up with a wire running from my negative battery post and hook to the switch, then the same deal with positive run from the red cable on my power supply join it up with a cable from the battery. your 15amp fuse will go between your battery and your switch.
    to select a pattern there is a yellow wire, you just touch it to a power sourse on your box and pick the pattern you like, and then just cap it off so it wont hit something and change on you. there is also a high/low feature the works the same, and you can add a switch if you like for the feature but i chose not to because i will more then likely always use high, down the road i could change my mind, oh and make sure you ground your lights at the power supply box
    i know its prolly semi rough to read and if you have any questions ask, im not the best writer.

2. JeepCreepn01

from Ohio

3. JeepCreepn01

from Ohio

4. gmcsierra1500

gmcsierra1500 Senior Member
    from CT

Nice job

Nice install and im sure this topic will be a big help to people installing strobes, I wish I had something like this to read before I did my first set, just a few quick additions though, first be sure there is good clearance around your strobe tube in the light housing, the tubes get very hot and i have seen them melt housings Second, its recommended that a 5amp fuse should be added between your battery and switch

5. JeepCreepn01

from Ohio

yeah forgot to write that but i got one

6. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

My install would go more like this! Although you hit the spot on everything else! Good Job!

[​IMG][/IMG]

7. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

This may sound like a dumb question but is it possible to mount the power supply under the hood?? Or does it need to be placed inside the cab to protect it from moisture?

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't. Just because It may be dry but like you said the moisture may get to it. I would mount it under your drives seat or if you have a ext. cab mount it under the rear seat.

Ryan

9. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Thats kinda what I was thinking any way. I just needed someone else to tell me that i guess.

10. JeepCreepn01

from Ohio

yep you can mount it under the hood, as long as you buy the weather proof one they offer now

11. scot43

scot43 Junior Member

Dont mount it under the hood, the heat will help it to an early death

12. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Your tools required list is very wrong. You should never do an install like that.

13. JeepCreepn01

from Ohio

wow thanks for the comments and all the required tools to correct it

edit...Heres something else i forgot READ the directions it also says in detail what youll need since my list was way wrong and an install should never be done my way, sorry for even trying

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  14. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

LoL here are the required tools

new pic small.JPG

15. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

There isn't a choice of flash pattern on your set up? Looks good so far. Lets see a pic of them on.

16. JeepCreepn01

from Ohio

yeah theres 10 choices you take a yellow wire and can either hook a switch to it and apply 12volts of just touch it to a power wire real fast and it changes, i tried to get a pic of it on and its alittle hard ill post some later

17. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Pretty cool. Did you use all clear bulbs?

18. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I see you popped the back wall cover to hide the strobe controller. Usually the controller unit get's hot and needs air flow. I know other unit's say the require x space to operate properly. Have you run yours for any period of time yet?

19. JeepCreepn01

from Ohio

all clear bulbs, ran it the other day for a good hour and checked it was all good, heats up but there is enough flow there

20. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I have to give you credit... Professional mount job! You may be able to go into business doing installs!... The reason for mounting it inside is so it can catch some air and stay dry. I've seen the strobe packs mounted in all different locations. Remember is you don't care for the flash pattern, if it don't have a flash change switch, just switch the plugs going into the strobe pack.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007