1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen 690 Question, 2011 2500HD

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Sledhed05, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Sledhed05

Sledhed05 Junior Member

I installed my 690 power supply and wired in 2 strobes and there is power to the power supply, but the strobes do not work and there is no ticking. I grounded the black wire, do I also need to ground the box itself? Any help would be appreciated! Also, where is the best place to tap power in a 2011 250HD? I used the 15a trans ign fuse with a fuse tap, is there a better choice?:mechanic:

2. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

try a strobe tube directly at the box to see if the wire is good....prolly connection issues..

no box does not need to be grounded.

3. Sledhed05

Sledhed05 Junior Member

I tried a strobe directly at the power supply, no luck. I do have power at the control wire, could the power supply just be broken? If one strobe was shorting, would that stop the other one from working? Thanks

4. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

yes it would.......unplug all strobes....they try a new one directly at power supply...

you do have power to the red wire AND the blue or green control wires also right?....and ground?

its possible a bad supply....i have seen and fixed several

5. Sledhed05

Sledhed05 Junior Member

Yes, i have 12v at red and on green wire. I grounded to a seat bolt, is that sufficient? I have strobes in port 3 and 4. Do I need to use the momentary switch to start? I do not have it hooked to anything. Thanks for the help!

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Try hooking power to the Red, Green and Blue wires. Also make sure you have a good ground.

7. Sledhed05

Sledhed05 Junior Member

Thanks for the help, got it fixed, the ground terminal had come loose and I was only getting 3 volts on the black wire. Now just need to wire in the 2 front strobes!

8. zeeman

zeeman Junior Member

Dissociative,,,,

email me @ bluez16@suddenlink.net

I have a question hopefully you can help me out with concerning wiring up a fob to stand outside my vehicle and change the patterns and turn on/off the strobes. Thx