1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whelen 690 power supply-how's it work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JohnnyU, Sep 12, 2003.

1. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I have a Whelen specific question, I emailed them, but I got no response. Perhaps someone else has asked this, or has experience with this. A friend of mine has the Whelen CSP690 Its a six outlet, 90W output power supply. Currently he only has four heads, but would like to add an additional two.

The question is this: does this power supply evenly distribute it 90W over the heads that are plugged in, or does it just give each port 15W regardless of whether anything is plugged in or not? He wants to add the two more, but didn't want to effect the brightness of the flashes. Thanks for any help.

2. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

i have a 660, but heres my guess.

if you have four plugged in, your probably getting about 22 watts on each strobe. if you have all six plugged in it prob. drops down to 15 watts. now with the 2x2x2 switching and if the 690 allows you to set up 2 or 3 on/off switches, you may be able to get a higher output if only some of the strobes were on. however if you are running all six on, then the highest output would be 15.

hope that makes sense.
    if the strobes are hideaways or if they have a clear or amber lense, 15W day or night is sufficient warning power. however on my unit, 15W is somewhat weak in the red housing, with sunglare. for a time I was thinking of adding a 690, but got two rear facing series 500 leds, which make up for the difference.
  3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

bam is correct. Anything below 20watts per head for red or blue lens are useless. 15watts is good enough for amber len however I still would go with at least 20watts per head. 15watts for clear len is sufficient. They are very bright at night.
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I thought that was 2x4 switching.And that would be correct the wattage would drop with each light plugged in.
  5. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm with Cat, I'm pretty sure the 690 has 2X4 switching.
  6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the info, that answered the question, he has opted to add the other two hide-aways, but was wondering one more thing.

Could he put them in that front Clearance light (the big one with the three bulbs) or would there not be enough rom for the tube to fit properly in there?

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

That is a good question I have seen them in the rear cargo lights in a Ford ,don't know which brand but they must of been small strobes I bet Jay could answer that where he will be at Whelen soon.
  8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

if he gets that internship....he'll have to hook us all up:D
  9. Santo

Santo Banned