1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wheels pro and cons?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hardwoodcd, Jan 3, 2011.

1. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

I have an 06 Dodge Ram 2500 QC/SB Cummins with a Boss 8'2" VXT on the front. It has stock 17" wheels. I like the look of a slightly larger wheel and would like to go to a 20" wheel. Please chime in as to what you think. Any reason why I shouldn't go to a 20" wheel from a plowing stand point?
  2. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

definitely not a good idea. unless you have a set you keep for plowing and a set for the street. 20" tires don't tend to be load rated the same, i'm sure they're out there but I bet they cost a pretty penny. Plus you're bound to hit a curb or 2 plowing and that can hurt on an expensive set of wheels.

3. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

Thanks for the input Jer. Much appreciated.
  4. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Let me know if you want to sell the factory 17" wheels.
  5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

not a good idea at all, the bigger the tire the harder on the trans, plus these truck go through tires like underwear. id run stock wheels and tire size. jmo
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

more wear and tear with the bigger wheels
    stick with stock for winter
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Bigger wheels means shorter tire sidewalls, presuming you stay with the same outside diameter. I have a couple places I do where driving up on the curb is common practice. A taller sidewall would most likely be more resilient to that.

I would stay with the 17s for plowing.
  8. turboplow3

turboplow3 Junior Member

by adding larger tires you are also changing the gearing ratio slightly. So it takes more power for first gear to move a bigger tire (unless you change your gear ratio). might not be most helpful with a ft of snow and trying to use the full potential of the straight blade.

also a narrower tire provides the most traction in the snow. it is better to have the tire cut down to the hard pack than to float it on the top snow.
  9. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

My truck comes stock with 265 70 17, Im not sure if this makes a difference or not so ill ask. What if I upgraded to 20 in wheels but stayed with a 265 tire?
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's possible to keep the same outside diameter while changing to larger rims. Just need to adjust the width and/or aspect ratio of the tire.
  11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Keep the 17"er's, the larger diameter wheel you run the most expensive the tire is.
    My 08 came with 18" wheels from the factory, my 97 has 16' wheels. The cost difference between the two sizes of tires is about $30-$40 per tire (275/70/18 vs 285/75/16).
  12. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Go for it I Love mine!!!!
  13. The PuSher MaN

The PuSher MaN Senior Member

You wont find a 265 20in tire with the right load rating. I would advise you to stay stock until spring.