1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wheels or tracks????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MagLan, Oct 18, 2010.

1. MagLan

MagLan Member

I am looking for some advice here...looking at purchasing a skid steer before winter to add to the fleet of trucks for pushing snow and I am curious as to whether wheels or tracks do better in the snow??? I am looking at a Bobcat T190 or an S185 with 2 speed!!! I really like the 2 speed, but if all i'm going to do is spin, it's pointless!! I think I will run an 8 foot box on it.

Thanks for any advice!!!

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Wheeled machines are generally better in the snow.

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

i would pick the 2sp s185 over the t190 for snow work anyday!!!

4. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

I second the 2 speed especially if your on a larger lot

5. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

i like the wheels better in the snow

6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Wheels with skinny tires. Tracks are made to evenly distribute weight and float, which is the exact opposite of what you want to do in snow.

7. VIPHGM

VIPHGM Senior Member

you will get better traction with the tracks system, even though your on pavement and might wear though them faster then wheels in the long run, open wheel machines spin too much and when under a larger load cant handle as much weight, go two speed, they have options to select the gear for fast or slow so you wont have to worry about just spinning, its nice to have when moving around a larger site and you want to get to the other side faster, it makes a big difference in time when moving snow also in forward speed. if you go with a caterpillar they will do a rental option and at the end of the season if you were happy with the machine you can continue to pay the rental and turn 100% of that into a buy option.

8. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

I just traded in my T300 for this very reason, last winter it was horrible with all the snow we got. I have a 12' pro-tech pullback that i had on it and if you got too much snow in the pusher it would start to slip all over the place. I traded it in for a 07' S300 gold package demo with less than 200 hrs on it and now i'm gonna use that pusher on it. I'm also on the list for a snow lease on another S300 with a 10' pullback and i'll end up financing that one too after april.

9. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

bobcat track machines are garbage in the snow. Wheeled machine with 2 speed for sure. The bobcat track slide everywhere no traction and rattl your teeth out. The wheels actually move you and are much faster and wear slower and cheaper to replace.

10. MagLan

MagLan Member

Wow!!! Thanks for all the replies!!! I believe my question is answered....I will be going with the S185 2 speed!!! ...which leads me to my next one....what is a good pusher box you guys are using that you can also back drag with??? I do a few condo complexes, so alot of driveways!!!!

11. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

I would recommend the pro-tech pullback. I have the 12' model and the thing is awesome on my 300, but if your using it for driveways i'd go with the 8'. Are you using it just for snow removal or you plan to use it during the year? We do alot of pavers and walls throughout the year and if your picking up full pallets, u'd better get at least a 250.

12. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Bobcat track machines are horrible in snow, something like ASVs or newer CATs with the ASV torsion bar undercarrage are better

13. MagLan

MagLan Member

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that...the reason I wanted to stick with the 185 is to keep the overall size down...do you find yourself wishing your 300 wasn't so big at times???

14. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

Curious what track machines you have tried MSU1510

15. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

Not that often. In fact i'm on the list for another S300 snow lease. I'll use it for winter and then finance it when the lease is up. It all depends on what your mostly doing. Then again, trust me, theres has been times in the past i wish i owned a S185 or S220 for the size but just wouldn't be efficient enough for what we do to own a smaller machine.

16. MagLan

MagLan Member

Yeah...I just can't deside if it's worth a larger machine just to be able to load/ unload full pallets of stone...if I have a bigger stone job with more than a couple pallets, I have them delivered anyway and put where I want them. I know it would be nice sometimes, but i'm not sure it out-weighs having the smaller, much lighter machine.

17. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

Yeah, thats what i was getting at. It depends alot on what you do. Its not worth it for us to have a small machine but if we ever needed one it would only be for the day so i'd just rent one. The S185 is definately a nice machine.

18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

A 2sp S205 is also an option.....with the counter weight kit its a very capable machine, and still the same size as a s185...

19. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

A300 w/ Studded Tires

20. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Take a look at the Kage pusher. I have a 10 footer for my A300 (with studded severe duty tires)and It works well, especially for back blading.