1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wheel spacers

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jonniesmooth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

I searched and didn't find a thread that discussed reasons to not use wheel spacers with a plow.

My mechanic thinks they are a bad idea. Puts the stress of the weight too far out on the axle,puts the stress on the secondary studs,increased ball joint stress and wear, bearing wear, etc.

I have 1" spacers on my 1985 chevy 1/2 ton, because the 16" wheels I bought rubbed on the tie rod joint when turned sharp.

I really don't want to switch wheels and spacers twice a year.

anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for helping.
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I don't have experience with them but my buddy had a set for a truck he once had and one his tires passed him on the road. The studs sheared off. They do change the forces on everything.
  3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

They do really change the load on the studs. As do aftermarket rims. With the weight of the plow I would not. I only use rims that mount in the hub centers like OEM with the correct offset so you do not need spacers. Or just use OEM rims.
  4. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

Well, That's not what I wanted to hear. At least it's good to know I have made a good choice for an on site repair guy.
    I guess we'll put this truck into back up status until January when I can put 4 new skins in the budget for the factory wheels.

Thanks for responding!