1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wheel size

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KRC, Oct 11, 2003.

1. KRC

KRC Junior Member

I'm looking to buy a set of wheels for my ford f-250 superduty, to use as a winter set. I found a set on ebay, but I dont understand the wheel size. The set im looking at is 16x7 8 lug 135mm. My question is what does the 135mm mean?? Some of the wheels im looking at have 170mm for a size, but they all say they will fit a 99-2003 ford f-250 superduty. Anyone have any ideas what the mm is for? And will these work on my truck???

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

With the introduction of the Super Duty, Ford changed to a partial metric wheel. I believe the metric number is the bolt circle diameter, as this is what changed on the wheels. I'm just not sure which one you list is right, my suspicion is the 170 mm. I don't have any metric measuring tools to check.
  3. KRC

KRC Junior Member

Thank you very much, so there is a chance it wont work on my truck??
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Pelican is right,the newer Super Duty's are different.They used to be 8 X 6.5" bolt pattern,and now they are 8 X170 mm.You must have the same bolt pattern for them to fit.

The pilot hole is important also.Measure yours so you will know what size you need.
  5. Rickson Truck

Rickson Truck Junior Member

This is all correct. The Ford SRW trucks from 99-up use an 8-170mm bolt pattern with a 4.93" bore and these are Hub centered wheels, meaning that the hub bore is what centers the wheel on the truck and the clamping force provided by the two-piece flanged lug nut is what carries the load. Virtually all duallies work this way, however Ford is the only manufacturer currently using this on the SRW trucks. Many aftermarket wheel companies are providing stud centered (i.e. tapered lug nut seats) wheels for the Fords, which not only incorrrect and not the way the truck and hubs were designed, and hence, probably not safe.

Dan Richter
    Rickson Truck Wheels
  6. Santo

Santo Banned

Tricky. Iv would have never realized it.
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

A lot of people don't notice,and drive around with the wrong wheels on their truck.Very dangerous.

Nice to see Rickson truck on board,they make some sweet wheels.

Need a set of 19.5's for my Dodge. :D