1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wheel siezed

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mistel, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Mistel

Mistel Member

I just got my 1990 f150 out of storage and the rear drivers side wheel is siezed. The parking brake seems to be releasing properly. Luckily I drive a tow truck so moving it is no problem. I plan on taking the wheel off this weekend and see if there is anything obvious wrong with it. Im not much of a mechanic, any suggestions? (its a stick)

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Was the truck parked with the E brake on? If so, it's probably stuck internally, even though the cable releases. The drum will have to come off to clean things up. Try rocking the truck back and forth, this sometimes breaks things loose.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to release the adjusters to get the drum off. There's a racheting pawl that holds a notched adjuster wheel in place, you have to stick a small screwdriver in past the adjuster wheel to release the pawl. Push straight towards the opposite side of the truck, then back off the adjuster with another screwdriver, enough to remove the drum.

After you get it apart, you can put Never-Sieze on the moving parts to prevent this from happening again, and reassemble.

3. Mistel

Mistel Member

Thanks for your advice Pelican. I took it apart today and that was exatly the problem. I has parked it with the e brake on and the pads had stuck to the drum. Im going to tow it to my mechanic and have the brakes done properly