1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wheel Loaders

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by m39976, Sep 19, 2005.

1. m39976

m39976 Junior Member

I'm looking at a new John Deere 244j (59hp) or 304j (74hp) compact loaders. I want to use it to plow my Ford dealership in Michigan. (5acres) We use trucks and a tractor with a snow-box now.

Do you think a compact loader would be practical to replace 1 truck and a tractor? If so how much horsepower will I need.

Thanks,

2. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

you'll still need at least one truck as a side kick to the loader....

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Depending on the setup, no you don't have to have a truck. We have a JCB 212SU with 14' Daniels and 12' back plow that can plow pretty much anything by itself--no driveways.

Hard to say without seeing it. We plow a dealership in GR with a skid steer and containment plow (ProTech). So the HP is not always an issue, depending on how far the pushes are. I would say either one would work quite nicely for your setup.

If it doesn't let me know and I'll buy the loader from you. :D

4. m39976

m39976 Junior Member

Thanks for the help.

We use a New Holland tractor (TN75da) now with 75 hp. It works good but I want to move the piles farther back. We use a 1.3 yd bucket. The 244j can take a 2.1yd. I'm going to sell it and upgrade.

5. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

I use the new John Deere 3800 articulated tele-handler with a 2.5 yd bucket and a 10' Protech snow pusher...works great much more powerful than compact loader and greater dump hieght than a much larger loader.

SD-Dave

6. m39976

m39976 Junior Member

I bought the 244j. It works great for around our car lot. The 3800 is very nice, but i need the smaller size and turning radius.