1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wheel Loader ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sno4U, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I'm considering getting a wheel loader for next year.
    I want something older -in the early 70's or newer.
    Something I can get parts for (of course) Thinking a Clarke, John Deere, or International.
    ...about a 2 yd bucket
    Articulated steering is a must
    in a budget of 10 to $15,000.

Are there any particular models I should stay away from?
    How big of a pusher should I be able to use, I was thinkin' about a 12 footer. I need to get it down isles of cars at a factory.
    How well do these bigger units start? Will I need to find a customer who is willing to let me plug in a block heater all the time? Or do they start fine w/ a touch of either?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

3. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Uuuuuhhh just a little too big! I COULD do the rows of cars w/ it if they don't mind a few "little" scrapes on the bumpers!!!
    A little too old and doesn't have articulated steering but, what it does have for steering will give me the result I'm looking for.
    Besides I don' think U ever said what he wants for it.
  4. Curbside

Curbside Junior Member
    from Canada

Well you probably will find a loader for 10 000 to 15000 but they can be a real pain. A loader in the early 70's is now nearly 40 years old. A 10 000 dollar loader is going to have broken or nearly broken everything. If it's not parked inside it will be difficult to start so of course when you need it the most you'll end up repairing it and have to hire a sub. Repairs on those machines are huge and on many models parts can be a bugger to find especially in a timely fashion. A transmission problem can cost more than the machine by nearly double. Wires on those old machines are brittle and add a little cold and moisture.

If you have only occasional use imo you would be better off finding someone you can call in to help you out. Two rely on a loader that old and in that price range could be a real headache. If you don't need to rely on the loader and you can get by if it does break it can be a bit of a hobby keeping them going. At least keeps you busy when it's not snowing. Good luck.
  5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Get yourself a JD 544B or C and you will be very happy.I see these all the time from $15-20K.Most did not come with a block heater,but it's not that hard to now install one.If you don't,an easier fix is an ether injector kit.I will tell you though ,my Deere's start without any ether to about 15-20*.
  6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

i can tell you that i have been happy with my ford a66 4yard loader. parts are plentyful from new holland, and for interior parts its all ford truck. block heater keeps her warm enough to start easy....she just takes time to produce heat....
  7. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I checked the rows of cars I want to go down today and I've got about 16 ft of actual space, so even if a p/u gets in there I should still be OK w/ a 12 ft box blade.
    A John Deere huh, about what year are those machines?
    More questions: Do these machines typically have some type of automatic trans or are they pretty much gear shift. I've run many farm tractors so it doesn't matter either way, its just I know 1 thing plowing a automatic in a truck is alot easier than stick.
    I've seen some w/ Perkins deisels in them and we had a Massey Ferguson tractor w/ a 4 cyl. Perkins in it. Once it got below about 30* the dang thing would never start, even w/ a block heater. POS
    Have they changed at all?
  8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

70's--80's JD.Not called an automatic, but just as easy---power shuttle or power shift--so easy a caveman can do it.:nod:--Stop worrying about the cold starting issue---there's a reason the logo says--''Nothing runs like a deere.''If you're engine is in decent shape you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it will start.
  9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Finding a good , reliable loader for under $20,000 can be done. I bought a 1970 Cat 920 two years ago. Paid $15,000 for it. Parts are very available for older Cat machines. Mine starts good down to about 10 degrees with just the glow plugs. All front loaders have a type of auto trans. You will need at least a 20.000 pound loader to use a 12 blade well.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  10. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

You have all year to find a decent used machine in your price range. Should be able to do it. Local dealer with determine which brand to get, parts, advice, etc.

I would rather buy then rent, but what are you going to use it for? Would renting/leasing be a better option?
  11. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

Been plowing with 1966 Michigan for about 7 years. Total breakdowns = 1 Hyd. hose (down for 1.5 hrs.) & Alt. (went out in summer, down for 2 hrs.) I push a 12' straight blade with no problem, even up steep grades. Block heater failed on coldest night of the year and it started with a small shot of either with no problem (Detroit 353 eng.) It moves a massive amount of snow and is comfortable to operate with good visibility and shuttle forward to reverse. I have access to a heated shop 24 hrs and an arrangement with local Cat dealer for a backhoe rental if needed. With a machine this old my advice is to have a backup plan. Even new stuff breaks down so you know the older will too. It is fun to go out and recover the purchase price in one event though, can't do that with a 2008 CAT !!
  12. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Can I get a bigger Pic of your Michigan? How much did you pay for it-if you don't mind saying.
    I have access to a larger pole shed and 150K BTU torpedo heater does wonders!

Another question from one of you: I plan to use it on a very large commercial parking lot. The problem is they have limited spaces for the number of vehicles that need to use it so we're always shuffling snow. A big loader would A: cut down on the time wasted there lpowing and B: when it does need to be moved I won't be stuck loading a truck w/ my little 1/3 yd bucket on my skid loader.
    I also have 2 other larger commercial accts nearby which it could be used on.
    I would say the easy answer would be a snow bucket but the skidder I have is just being pushed past its limit now doing what it has to do to service these accts.
  13. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

14. ex-plower

ex-plower Junior Member
    from vermont

Does it have to be a loader?

What about looking into a TLB instead, a case 580, or JD 310, 410 will handle a 12' pusher, They're cheaper, cost less to maintain, and you can do more with them.
  15. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

been there done that years ago with an old loader for $10K or so. When it worked it was OK...when it didn't, which was often, it was a huge pain in the butt :realmad:. It mostly failed to work when needed most...cold snowy days...started fine and gave little issue in June.

Time is money too...both in loss of work and time fixing etc. Either up your ante or forgo it. Old stuff unless you find the "needle in the hay stack" mint unit isn't worth it.

Expirence talking here :angel:

trying to save you from going thru what I did.
  16. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

What kind of loader was it??
    Alot of hours?
    I know what you mean. When I started my l/c business years ago, I bought new stuff and only 1 piece of used. I tell ya that 1 piece of used junk caused more friggin' headaches!!!
    And I often told myself: never buy used-all your doing is buying someone elses problems but in this case I can't justify the expense of new(just yet) so, I'll need to go this route and hope I get lucky.
    Really would like something owned by a municipality as I understand they are maintained the best and can provide records to prove it!
  17. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

Here's one for $5K. Same model I have. You could get two and have a spare.
  18. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

19. snoking

snoking Senior Member

I have Terex, (age?) oversized bucket is 4 yards, it really is a 2-3 yard machine. AIS Engine in grand rapids, mi did the detroit diesel, runs like new with lots of power. starts at 0 degrees no prob. has a $3000 muffler on it, way quite now no screaming. new hydraulic controls and various hydro lines are new. id let it go or 14000, and we could work out payments if you like. let me know
  20. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i.ve got an old CASE W-14 i am going to replace this spring

i have spent alot of money on the ol' girl (nothing mechanical) such as tires paint bucket hyd-valves etc an i would like to get about $20k if interested just pm me
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009