1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wheel loader work

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bigdog4342, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Bigdog4342

Bigdog4342 Junior Member

I'm looking for a wheel loader for winter piece of mind (906h2). Wondering if you guys have ideas how to pay for this in off season. We are a small design build and use skid steers .

2. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I never looked for any work with my wheel loaders. In my area there would not be much people looking for one. The gravel pits have there own and so do the big contractors. The only thing I could think is maybe rental.

Don't spend a lot of money on one. You can purchase a good usable loader for 12 to 15k. Make sure the center pin is not real sloppy and also check for blow by and your gears are all there. I bought all 3 of my loaders on ebay. You have protection through ebay if machine is misrepresented.

Depending what size your looking for you will have to hire a lowboy or heavy dovetail. Make sure mobilization is added to your budget. There is a few decent wheel loaders on ebay now.

Always buy a inline 4 or 6 cyl diesel. The v6 cummins are junk and the v8 I have heard nothing good about. The 8 will eat so much fuel it will eat your profits away.

3. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Use it at your yard to load and unload supplies. Doesn't make money but it will let you work smarter and that makes money.

4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Ours sits for the summer, other than unloading pavers off of semi's if/when all the skids are out on jobs, and loading mulch. I'm of the belief that if you need to have work for it in the off season to pay for it/justify it, you don't need it yet.

FWIW, I don't think I will purchase ours once the lease is up, nor will I buy/lease a new one.

5. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

If you have room at your yard, sell mulch and use it to load? A few guys here have started doing that

6. Bigdog4342

Bigdog4342 Junior Member

Thanks for the replys. We paid 2,000/ mo rent last year for 4 mo. , many of the machines are going north of that this year . So I thought I was not far from a 1100/ mo lease . I am having trouble trusting a high hour machines I can buy outright for 15-20k. Seems like a crap shoot

7. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

My brother has 2 of them, and both sit in the bunker silo's of different dairy farms for most of the year, rented out............

8. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I have a friend that rents his loaders to a local fertilizer company

9. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

A snow loader does not work like a machine in a gravel pit etc. They don't work near is hard in the snow. They are not that complicated to work on and maintain.

I had my doubts when I bought my first loader. For a small investment you will get your capitol back the first year. If your looking for a compact or small one you may want new or slightly used.

If your looking for one that will take a 14 to 20 FT pusher that can stack and load trucks you want a older one. They are not junk with 10K showing on a working meter. Don't worry about it not working in the off season. My paver sits all winter and that's a way bigger investment than a snow loader.

I hope everything goes your way for the snow season.

10. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

12. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

13. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Your client does not care and probably would not know how old the machine is. Its your performance that counts. I know guys that are still using straight frames. Little slower loading trucks but will get the job done. A lot of cat 922 straight frame still in use for snow.

No brakes usually scare guys away. Air over hydraulic are simple as pie, Usually it's the master cyl. or air valve. I bought one with no brake at all. Needed master cyl. rebuilt and a foot pedal valve. Cost me $409.00 in parts and the labor was cake.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  14. EPM

EPM Member

You'll be surprised how often you'll be able to use a 906. If mine didn't load materials at my supply yard we'd be using it a few times a week on jobs. I would also go used though. The 90k+ they want for a new one just isn't worth it when you can find a good 2-3000 hour machine for under 60k.
    I personally wish I would have gone with a 908 or 910 to have a little more reach loading trucks if you do much of that.