1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wheel Loader or skid Loader?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by baddboygeorge, Sep 20, 2009.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

I wanna know what is the better piece of equipment for big parking lots like Wal-marts, Lowes, Factories , etc? I have the oppurtunity to buy an old wheelloader an I was gonna fit it up with a 16 foot snow box for big commercial lots , then I started debating if the skid loader with a 12 foot box would be better due to the fact it can turn quicker an get into tighter areasan I can haul it around.I have trucks with plows an skid loaders but I have never used a snow box on any of our equipment. Please give me some imput, I wanna be able to roll into these big lots an move snow in a hurry! Thanks

2. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I would go with the skidloader. Better all around machine. I doubt you will get a 12' box on one though, that's very large for a skid

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

It would help to know if you are planning to buy it for snow only, or do you have other work to use it on all year?......You stated you already have SS's, well if thats the case maybe you would be better off diversifying and getting a wheel loader w/16ft box, cause thats gonna move WAY more snow than any SS in the open areas?

I sub a SS & 10ft box to a guy that has a Walmart. It works with a backhoe w/12 box, and the 2 of them pretty much take care of it with a little help from a truck. IMO, it would be a PITA to do this place without the SS because of its manuverability & qickness.

Questions - why dont you run a pusher on your SS's? Are you using them full time for snow work in the winter? How many do you have, and what models are they?

As for the 12fter on a SS.....I've never seen it, I know they make em....so someone else that has done it will have to chime in on that.

4. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I have a ss with a 10' pusher. It does ok. The problem with it is that you loose traction real easy if you get more than a few inches. I would go with a wheel loader for such a parking lot you are talking.

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

That machine(NH 180) shouldn't have any problems handling a 10fter......:confused:...are the tires shot?

6. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

It handles it no problem! Has all the power it needs. Tires right now are shot, but last winter, they were brand new. We have always used it in the winter, but it loses traction easy.

7. baddboygeorge

guys ,,Thanks

I think I am gonna go with the wheel loader with a big pusher like a 16 footer for all my big lots , The bad problem is I will have to trailer the box an drive the loader to each site. I have alot of big lots within a 5 mile area . I am tired of spending hours an hours plowing with trucks on these big lots an skid loaders do well , I want something to move the snow an in a hurry!

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

hmmm, ok.

Get a folding model pusher. I think Protech makes one, not sure who else? that would be a major PITA to trailer a 16ft pusher every storm:dizzy:.....what size wheel loader are you thinking to handle a 16fter?

9. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

yeah x2 for the folding pusher.....if youre going to drive the loader down the road might as fell fold in the pusher and take it with you too. the folding models will be more money but i dont think it will take long with time savings of not having to trailer the pusher to make up for it.

10. baddboygeorge

Loader

The loader I can purchase is a big Mchigan loader with a detroit diesel, it steers in the rear has good cab an heat , has lights but the tires need replaced,,, with this loaderpush a 16 foot box , remember I am in Kentucky so we dont get much snow , I just need a quick way to move it!

11. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Sounds like an old 175... had one ten years ago, 3.5yd bucket. The steering box was so loose you had to turn the wheel around damn near twice before it began to turn. Thought the big lugs left on the tires meant they were still good, but the dry-rot was worse than it looked. They leaked... so we put a quick-coupler on the air pump to fill them every couple of weeks. I finally started bouncing while in reverse when the plow truck pulled up along side of me trying to point it out -then it blew like a battle ship cannon... alomost blew the plow guy's hat off from 20ft. thanks for reminding me of that -a good laugh. Think we paid $500 each for good used ones after that.

It moved mountains at the 7 acre truck terminal we plowed. When the spot truck pulled a trailer away from a dock, they had left a forklift in the back, which of course fell out. hooked up the chain and lifted it in the air without even feeling it.... ah, the memories.

PS. Lost the side to a huge asphalt contractor and just resigned them for a three year deal this year... eight years after.

12. baddboygeorge

Big acres

This loader is not a real huge loader , it has 3 steps to climb up to get in an it has a big 4 cylinder detroit in it! I would say 18-20k pound loader.I am anxious to get it I will also be using it to load an unload with as well.

13. big acres

big acres Senior Member

sounds like a good size for you. ours was a six cylinder detroit, and definetly one of the biggest of its era.

14. baddboygeorge

hey

I hope it does well for our needs , !!

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I think you answered your own question.

16. baddboygeorge

Mark

I know your the professional an I do appreciate your reply , I just had some questions regarding a wheel loader, sorry that I do not know everything,,,,, With 3k plus posts you have anwsers for everything! Thanks

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Contrary to popular opinion, I don't know everything either. ;) :D

I was reinforcing what you were saying in that post.

I think you knew the answer all along, you just wanted some validation to your gut feeling which is what I and some of the others were providing. I was going to say virtually the same thing in you did, hence, my post.

18. baddboygeorge

Mark & to all my snow buddies!

I am trying to make every buck count with the rite equipment for the rite application, I feel lost pulling up to a 5 acre parking lot an not having the right tools to move snow quickly! It seems like when the snow starts falling my phone starts ringing out of control. Time is money an I wanna make sure we can address every call we get in a timely manner.