1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wheel- Hopping

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sharpm, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Sharpm

Sharpm Junior Member

Hi, Guys
    I have noticed that when i go through deep snow with my truck that the rear tires tend to start wheel hopping on me. I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 in it. It has locking rear differenctials, also it has brand new Transforce 265/75/16 on all four coners. No problems i was just wondering if any one has the same thing happen.
  2. TEX

TEX Senior Member

a set of traction bars should help
  3. red2500

red2500 Junior Member

The 1500's have a light rear spring to make them ride nice. This leads to the axle "wrap-up"
    under heavy loads (pushing alot of snow). The energy sometimes is released as a bucking (my truck) or hopping. GM places the shocks on either side of the rear axle(front and rear of it) to help. The cheap way would be more heavy duty shocks and or more weight in the bed to get the springs pre-loaded, that should help. Mine smooths out with a 1/2 yard of sand/salt on board. All though that much weight is on the extreme side for my LD 2500.
    Hope this helps, Randy
  4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

ever replaced the shocks ?