1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wheel blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowplowjay, Aug 27, 2002.

1. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Hey guys what ever happened to the wheel blade by western for a while it was on their site and was pictured all over the net but now i see it nowhere.
  2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Ok im gonna see if anyone has heard anything once again. Tonight i was lookin at the F150 forum and saw a pic of a f150 with a western wheel blade on it. Anyone know what happened with those. They looked interesting engineering and concept wise but a little stupid looking on the front of a truck.

3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Jay, I don't know about other dealers but we had a hard time convincing people here to run around with a wheelbarrel tire holding there plow up........ Really it was a highway tire but still looked like it was from a wheelbarrel.

From what I learned they didn't hold up as well as expected and was a no go in the visual market. Got some info on them for my files though for the future " did they really make that?" questions.

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Jay the Wheel Blade went away quite a few years ago. It was not excepted very well when introduced, and had its share of problems which I understand was one of the reasons why it was discontinued. They were engineered as an answer for the trucks that were coming out that the manufacture said could'nt hold the weight of a plow. I serviced only one unit that was on a Ford 150 and was bought with the plow already installed. I found out later that Western bought the plow back from him the following year due to operation and safety problems.
    :rolleyes: John
  5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Yea Jerre I think I have some of the brochures stored in my files also. Maybe someday ill uncover them and try to figure out what could be done to that plow to make it more appealing. Maybe that will be a good senior engineering project.

6. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I was up at the Western plant in Milwaukee the year after they introduced the wheel plow. they had a zillion of them in the yard with warranty problems. It was discontinued after only 2 or tops 3 years. One of their honcho engineers admitted to me it was the worst product they ever made.
    If someone really likes the concept there is a company in Denver that makes a wheeled plow. (Sno-skat I think) Not sure how many they sell cause I only saw one in use.
  7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Not sure if it's the same thing you are talking about, but plenty of the BIG highway plows around here have wheels on them.
  8. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's a great idea,too bad they couldn't make it work better.

I have seen a few highway plows with this type of setup,and they seem to work OK.I have also seen it on a few lot trucks,where someone mounted a huge blade on a 1/2 ton truck.Never seen them in action,just parked.

I guess it would be difficult for stacking,as the wheels would be dragging and catching on curbs.I was toying with the idea as well,just haven't got around to building one yet.