1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wheel bearing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Ok so my wheel bearing fried on my 2500 today. Lovely I know. Question I have is there any specific brand I should look out for when buying?? There are so many different ones and a large range in prices. I just dont want to buy a piece of shyt and have it burn up in a few months
  2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I would stay with OEM for the hub assembly. Have you changed one on this truck before?
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Timken bearings are very good. Autozone carries them. Many guys have said to stay away from Napa for some reason. A friend bought one from Carquest, junk out of the box.
  4. Rubicon 327

Rubicon 327 Senior Member

X2 on the Timken!
  5. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Had to change my drivers side one last year, mechanic recommended timken as well.
  6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

No this will be the first time doing a wheel bearing on this truck. It is the driver's side one. Thanks guys I am getting the bearing here shortly then out to put the thing in. Should be loads of fun
  7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Timken get's my vote.
  8. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

National or Timken are my pick., Avoid the chinese Valucraft or NTP bearings.
  9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

TImken for sure! I replaced both of mine on my truck this past fall, I got them online for $189/ea from dmaxstore.com... best price I could find on them!
  10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Got the timken one. It was 219 bucks. Took about an hour to do the install from start to finish. :mechanic: Good thing my neighbor had the big socket for the axle nut. Drives and sounds much better now, lol. No grinding or humming from the front now
  11. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I had toreplaceon on my K2500, went with a Timken for $285. My friend charged me $75 to put it in.
  12. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

I have a good friend who is a service manager at a Chevy dealership and he tells me to use Timken hub assemblies.
  13. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I used Timkin hub/bearing assemblies on my 98 K3500 almost a year ago and no problems so far.

14. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I attenpted my first wheel bearing for the first time today, I had to go borrow the big socket too. I was so proud of myself for doing it actually getting it done without haveing to ask any questions on how to do it.
  15. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Its a great feeling isn't it! Really boosts confidence levels when the need to do other work on one of the trucks arises!
  16. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Have to do at least one if not both on my 2000 soon. Whats the magic big socket you had to get?
  17. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I used a 1 3/8 socket. Thought it would have been metric, but it fit perfectly
  18. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Damn, that is a big nut. Any other special tools and tricky spots or just had to use a lot of muscle to break them loose?
  19. Sydenstricker Landscaping

The 4 bolts holding the hub to the steering knuckle are 15mm and PB blaster will be your friend!!! Im guessing you have taken the brakes off before in the front. But just to refresh, remove the caliper, will either be a 18mm hex or I think a T35 or something torx bit. Remove the caliper mounting bracket, the bolts should be 21mm for that. Remove the rotor and you will be right in there. With a chisel or small flat head screw driver, pop off the cover on the hub, that will get you into the big axle nut. I recommend taking something and bracing it against a few lug studs and the ground to keep the thing from turning while taking the nut off. Im sure you could bust it loose with a big breaker bar, but the impact gun is so much easier!! Once the axle nut is off, push on the threaded part to make sure it will move freely out of the hub. Also make sure you disconnect the abs sensor wire as well. The hub mounting bolts are easy to remove, all I did was bust them loose with the breaker bar and 15mm, then put it on a ratchet to remove. There is no room to get them with an impact gun. Now with the bolts removed, the hub wont just fall off. You will need a pry bar of sorts or hammer/screwdriver combo ( Im a redneck and use screwdrivers for everything else but a screwdriver, lol) to go around where the hub mounts against the steering knuckle. Make sure you pry it out evenly so it doesnt get jammed in there. It has about an inch long lip that mounts inside the steering knuckle. Now you splash guard for the brake rotor is also mounted there too. If it is rotten or messed up, now would be the time to replace it. Mine wasnt rotted, just cleaned it up and gave it a new coat of paint. It may be a dealer item though. Clean up the area where the hub slides inside to steering knuckle, it will make re-assembly easier. When you put the hub in, make sure the splines on the axle shaft slide in nice and easy into the hub. Put some grease there as well. Not a ton, just enough to coat the shaft. Then re-assembly is just reverse of this. Good luck with it, really isnt a hard job at all.
  20. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Yeah it did boost my confidence until this afternoon then I noticed on my 04 the dipstick tube was broke half way down and 3 broken exhaust manifold bolts on the same side, Now i dont feel confident anymore because i couldnt get the tube out of the side of the motor and Im not even attempting the manifold.