1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wheel bearing on 02 2500hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PTSolutions, Mar 14, 2009.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

anyone had to replace one? are they a pain to do? now that its warming up around here we can start doing our own work since we dont have access to a shop.

but i noticed some slop in the front driverside tire. I placed my hand at 12 oclock and 6 oclock and i can move the tire a bit, and i looked behind the hub and noticed where the cv joint goes into the axle it would move.

now i have swapped out plenty of wheel bearing on our quads b/c they have the same setup; cv joints into a hub where they ride in a bearing.
  2. MJD82

MJD82 Member

most likely it is a unit bearing so all you have to do is pull the wheel and brake assembly off (caliper,rotor,hardware,etc ) then pull the axle nut off usually between 1 1\4 inch and 1 1\2 in nut depending on application you can pick the socket up at any parts store I like autozone great neck line they are cheap 15-20 bucks. you will need to remove the nut either with a long breaker bar or an impact once that is off spray end of axle at the hub with either pb blaster or jb 80 will aid in seperating axle and bearing. now if the axle will slide freely out of the hub your in good shape if it will not budge i found tapping on the axle end with a dead blow rubber hammer this may free it or a 2x4 and a 2lb sledge, once the axle is free there should be 3 or 4 bolts on the backside of the bearing remove these and the bearing should come right out you may have to tap on the bearing to pop it out of the steering arm. then replace with new bearing and put everything back togehter no grease no free play adjustment just plug and play. be sure to get torque specs on mounting bolts and axle bolts. hope this will help
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

4. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Its about as simple to do as it gets. the baring comes as a unit with a new wheel speed sensor already attached. I think it took my buddly about half an hour 45 minutes to do. MJD82 pretty much has the sequence down.

Good Luck

5. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Pro, pm me your email. I mechanic friend of mine emailed me the instructions for the bearing on my 06. It's probably pretty similar for yours. This is directly from GM too.