1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whatzis? (Trailer connector, maybe?)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Maine_Train, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

I even checked the Owner Manual, but didn't see anything matching this. Other than something that takes up space where I could mount one half of a pair of LED flashers, what is the square plastic thing next to the rear plate on my '04 Silverado?
    [​IMG]
    I felt around behind the bumper, and there seems to be a fairly solid tube going to the back side of it, something not corrugated like a wire loom might be. It almost looks like it's hinged on the side nearest the registration plate, but I didn't want to pry it open and maybe bust something. It was too cold to stand around out there fiddlin' with it, anyway.
    My truck has the 7-pin connector in the usual spot by the receiver hitch, so the only other thing I could think of was maybe a connector for trailer brakes.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

tubular !

you pop it open there should be a lip on one side to insert your ignition key and it gives you access to the spare tire winch to lower your spare tire if you get a flat !!!!:waving:

3. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

yes or a place to put the crank handle to lower the spare tire down

4. Maine_Train

Well, whaddya know. It is in the manual, if one knows where to look. :eek:
    Thanks, guys.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Its basically to keep people from steeling your spare.

6. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I would also spin that down and lube it up as they tend to freeze up. I even had to drill out the lock on mine because that was frozen

7. Maine_Train

Yikes. Okay, thanks for the tip. :salute:

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I found a spare truck tire and wheel in the road the other day. It still had the little plate that holds it up against the bottom of the truck and about a foot of wire cable rusted right onto it.

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I've been looking for that!! Can't believe i was going fast enough for it to roll to New Hamshire

10. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

If your truck is old enough the cable will rust then snap and the tire will fall off on a busy highway and by some fortune of luck not hit a car....during a storm.

11. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

and if you live in Chicago the homies will cut the wire and your spare ends up down on maxwell street the next morning for 25.00

12. Maine_Train

Another reason I'm glad I don't live in Chicago. Not that we don't have people stealin' stuff around here, but if you :gunsfiring: in their direction, it draws less attention from the neighbors. Some places, you're not only allowed to do that, it's expected. :jester:

13. overtime

overtime Senior Member

i lived in Glendale heights for a little over year for school and alot of my friends stuff was stolen. I remember my school guy said yea is Chicago but its the better side hardly any crime hahaha