1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats your worst plowing bad habbit??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by firemedic680, Jan 9, 2003.

1. firemedic680

firemedic680 Member
    from BG Ohio

Since we are all waiting for the snow to fall , thought id see what everybodys "bad habbits" are . ( pleaseeee no flask comments :) casey :nono: ) Gotta say mine are not coming to a complete stop before shifting ( dont do that often , about once per event ... just see dollar bills flying away) . My other one is backing up before i check the mirrors. Lot of close calls doing that , thankfully no "strikes" . This might be a dead thread , but id thought id try.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

my worst habbit has to be putting the truck in reverse before looking. i usually put it in reverse quickly looking, and back up a tad bit, but ive had a few close calls of people sneaking in behind me.
  3. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Lately, I have been backing up too closely to bushes and tree branches. I think I can go back another few inches and then SCRAAAATCH! I backed into a bunch of sumac a few days ago that scratched up my taillight. I've been considering yanking my tailgate to give a better view.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Leaving my wallet in my back pocket

I usually wear a large set of cotton duck bib overalls and a heavy duck coat,which has no access to get at your pockets.Wallet is usually stuffed in my back pocket.Means I have to do the "Big Striptease" in a crowded coffee shop to pay for my Java.You'd think by now I'd learn to put my wallet somewhere else,but it always happens.
  5. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

Many times I forget to strap the Keg down in back. When I take off it slids away from the cab and rips the tapper line right out of the cab. The line usually gets cut on the sharp edges of the hole I drill into the cab. It's a real bummer.
  6. firemedic680

firemedic680 Member
    from BG Ohio

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

LMAO Yardworks !!

8. firemedic680

firemedic680 Member
    from BG Ohio

Hmmmm i have a new idea for Ebay.....ill be rich , filthy rich i tell ya
  9. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Listening to the weatherman, and taking his word for GOLD. Did it when I plowed for a Lawn and Snow back in the day, still catch myself doing it. I prep, double check and triple check materials, you know the usual, starts even when they are predicting it 4 and 5 days out.

What a bummer,,, getting better though.:nod:
  10. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Ebay sucks, I have three THOUSAND GALLONS of beer on hand and I don't look where I am backing up!:D
  11. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I hear you offroad.

I usually stay up all night... The night before. :D

Cant sleep when I hear the big ones comming...

Then It fizzles.

12. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

I agree with you Sno, I am usually up late anyway... and its been getting worse... and the last couple of storms fizzle out to 1" or less so no work... bites...

And Yard, if you strap the keg just under your flashing strob light... to raise it up a little higher.. and use gravity wiith the hose going thru the drivers windows that we all leave open plowing it works well..... .

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

Do it the canadian way...eh

Use a small electric fuel pump,and a draft spigot on the dash.Gravity doesn't flow fast enough :drinkup:
  14. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well theres only really one thing i do wrong.i forget to clean myself out before i go out plowing for 10 12 hours.number 2 seems to sneak up after getting in and out of the truck a few times.so i end up going out for 2 hours.drive all the way back to my house because its the only place i will go.......lol lol.typing about this makes me wanna go now...........i'll finish this later gotta run......fast!
  15. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

1.) Being unable to sleep the night before the storm.
    2.) Not turning off my strobes between jobs.:D
    3.) Not looking well before backing. (no accidents thought)
  16. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Either smoking or have a dip, since I have quit both recently, but is seems to keep me awake after long hours. That and watching the weather all the time, praying for more snow.

17. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

The one and only one that I have, that I can think of was mentioned above, not looking before backing up consistently. I usually remember to, but sometimes I catch myself just starting to back up and then I think, oh crap, I forgot to look first. This usually happens when doing a lot, you get into a mode where you plow forward, stop, raise plow, back up, drop plow, and repeat. You go back and forth enough times, you start to not look back EVERYtime, you start to look every other time. LOL. Never backed into anything yet, due to not looking while plowing luckily. Its a terrible habbit to have. Mike
  18. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Ok I have done this twice now. I have a guy who talks to much on the radio, the stuff if funny but your hear him all the time. So i am sitting there saying to myself, please shut up. So what do I do, some how click the mike open and say shut up. The next thing every guy is saying gee man lighten up.

19. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Not getting a proper sleep before a storm or stoping for a cat nap.
  20. kutnkru

kutnkru Member

Forgetting about that Hazelnut I just bought at 1am when its 130 and have to push a few piles back -LOL!!! :eek:

I also forgot quite a bit about the seat belt this past storm, when leaving larger lots. :rolleyes:

I somehow hit the alley light switch and was highlighting homes for about 3 blocks before I realized it was on between neighborhood routes.