1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's Your Trigger On Driveways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Allagash, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

For you guys who stick to driveways, what amount of snow do you plow? We had a storm here last night that was supposed to dump 3 to 6 and we wound up with 1 to 2 at best. I wasn't sure what to do with my driveway accounts? If I had a salter or sander, that would have taken care of it but I don't. I wound up not doing them as it seemed pointless. At what amount do you guys drop the blade on residentials?
  2. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

My trigger is 2 on everything that I do including driveways. If I don't think it needs it I don't do them. Depends on what the forecast is calling for the days after the storm. I would not put salt down unless I was getting paid for it. None of my residentials get salt.
  3. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 Member

My trigger is 2" on everything.
  4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

For residentials, we generally use a 2" trigger, but I explain to ALL my residential customers that sometimes, weather DOES constitute a removal. If we see in the forecast that we are supposed to get a slight warmup, then a cooling again, we want to get that out of there. Otherwise, what happens, is that it partially melts, then freezes back up again. Essentially, you end up with a 75" sloped ice rink. The customers are understanding of this, and even appreciative. So, occasionally, if it's just under 2", we are in there moving, anyway.
  5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I go out at 2" , but 1" for gas stations. And I have some older people who want it done at .5, yes I said 1/2 inches. I hate it going out if it only snows .5, but it rarely does, maybe 2 times a year, so its not a big deal.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  6. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

i have everything set at 2 inchs seems to be good. I have told all my clients that if they want me to plow under 2 inchs for any reason to just let me know and i will be bappy to do it. I almost never get a call to do it but on occasion i have had some of my older customers call and ask for it.
  7. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Anywhere from .25" - 6" triggers.. Depends on the individual customers needs. Most are 2-4".
  8. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

people on hills even 1/2" if the forecast is to stay cold etc. but flat driveways,
    2-3 inches..again depends on the forecast and if it can turn to ice after driving on it and compacting.
  9. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I have a 2" trigger on both commericial and residential. Had a nice 2.5" snow last Sunday. I wish they all were 2"-3" events.
  10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on the customer and the weather. Salt usually takes care of it but if I see its going to be 37 degrees in 2 days, then I don't do anything. If it's 20 degrees, and going to get colder, then all that needs to go.
  11. Fastech

Fastech Junior Member

I have a 3" trigger on residential and a 2" trigger on commericial.
  12. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Question, if you have someone who wants it done at 3", and it snows like 2.5, do you do it?
  13. VAhighwayman

VAhighwayman Senior Member

We have found that it's best to have set those depth guide lines with the customer first, We always when out at 2"
  14. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Here is mine

Snow plowing, shoveling and/or de-icing coverage begins when approximately 2" of snow has fallen and will continue at periodic intervals throughout the storm. This applies to both seasonal and per visit agreements

I then explain in my service guide that if a lesser snowfall amount of say 2" - 5" is predicted that we may elect to wait until the end of the storm so as to avoid the complications of competing with traffic.

I think that this has just about eliminated all of the "where are you calls"

15. Fastech

Fastech Junior Member

If they are good customers and have treated me good, I will plow them to keep them happy. If they have been a PITA all season, I will plow them to keep them from complaining. I would also make a note of it in my log book for furture reference. I guess what I'm getting at is my trigger is around 3", not exactly 3".
  16. Most of my driveways and private streets are at a 2" trigger. I have a large "upscale" banquet facility that is on a 1". They want to make sure that the parking area, sidewalks and patios are always snow free as the sales managers walk the property with each prospective client.
  17. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

I'm on LI and do all residential with blowers and shovels. I've done the route 2x already this year! Ah hahahahahahahaha.... The first snow was 2", the second was about an inch. I didn't even use the snowblower, just super wide shovels.

It's all about safety and liability so my triger is 1". Unless it's 40 and sunny.
  18. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

My trigger is 2" on everything but 1 account. She is a little old widow who dosen't leave often. Hers is 4" but she pays me really well. BTW she set the trigger. I went to plow it the first time with about 3" on the ground and more comming and she came running out in her house coat and told me just wait till it is done and next time don't worry about it till the storm stopps and it is over 4". So I wait and do hers last. She pays me about 3 times what the others pay and she also set that. I wasn't gonna charge her as much due to the fact she didn't want to be a priority and wasn't needing it done as often and she said no. She said I was so sweet to be out there doing that in such terrible weather and I deserved more money for doing it. So who was I to complain.payup payup payup
  19. JTW

JTW Senior Member

That lady got any relatives in New York?!!! lol
  20. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

2 inches on everything.