1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whats your schedual

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Guzzo856, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 Member

say for example if i have about 22 to 30 residential accounts that are small that requires 15 yard driveway and walkway(mostly city) and a few large drive ways that require a plow. And also 2 small commercial accounts. if i am running the plow how should i do it. How many guys, i was thinking 4 would do. Also should i have me plowing and a crew of 4 doing residential??? thanks

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Depends what's in your contracts, if you promise driveways cleard by 7am and storm ends at 630 am then you'll want all the help you can get. I wake up at 230am dpending what time the storm hits, commercial first! Unless they are closed and Its a small storm at like 400 pm then you can do w/e you want, but for a Storm comin over night and let's say it ends at 300 am If you get out and are good at plowing you can easily get 2 small commercials (depending on size) done in an hour give or take x amount of time depending on travel and size of lot, and if you have a v box salter you can get them done faster. and your residentials depending on size, and travel; you should be able to knock those out in a couple hours, so you might wanna hir one or 2 guys fir a sidewalk crew but you don't have to, sorry for any mispelled words, I typed this on my iPhone

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I really don't understand your scope of work. 1 guy should be able to do this work if I am reading this right. Please explain it a little more.

4. ajslands

Your obvisoly new, so Iam assuming you don't have a fleet of trucks to give one to a guy to do your resis, so just get another guy and do them yorself and he can do your walks

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

As a one man crew I can honestly say this is doable dependig on your level of service. I have 15 small commercial, the largest of which is a two acre lot, and 28 rural residential drives the smallest starting at about 300ft. All commercial involve plowing and salting by 7:30am and I make sure that Resi's aren't started till 8am. A full push starts at usually 2:00am and I'm usually home by 2:00pm (depending on the storm) and check throughs for the commercial while doing Resis. I am up front about residential service not being a priority, it keeps me from having to work around cars in the drives. (I don't get them out for work, but they're clear when they come home and most rural drivers aren't too bad about driving through snow, they just don't want to have to shovel snow after the white knuckled ride home.) Over the years I've gotten kinda anal about my route, I try not to let special requests for faster service times screw it up, it makes for a longer day for the same money, and the timing of the storms is beyond my control... also helps to have a back up truck and back up plan.

6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah just like Pristine & Markus said. 4 guys is overkill, too much overhead, and where is your profit, in your employees pockets , that where

7. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 Member

the residential accounts would be blowed and shoveled. its to small for a plow. the second crew would be of probably 3 or 4 guys that shovel and blow residential. And then once im done to 2 commercial all by myself i will meet them up and split up the crew and have two in my truck o and 2 or 3 in the other. Hows that sound???

8. ajslands

Sounds like no profit for you!

9. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

yep, have one guy with you, that jumps out and shovels. Put a snowblower or two in the back of your truck, and take a little longer, but make way better money.

10. lude1990

lude1990 Senior Member

you and one or maybe two other guys depending on the size of the storm doing sidewalks...anymore and you would have to do everything in like jus a few hours just to make money

11. ajslands

Op did you tell 4 guys that they could have a job, cuz you seem trigger happy t go with 3-4 guys, just give it a try and see if you make any money. Not trying to be a d***. but you should listen to what the people on here are saying, once again not trying to be an a$$