1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats your price in your area?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ocean Side, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Ocean Side

Ocean Side Member

Just seeing what is out there...

I know that even a half hr away prices are drastically different from here on seacoast nh.

What is the average price of a residential driveway? low price? High Price?

This is the reason for posting this question right here. I took on a private rd from a friend, who does not plow commercially, but has a brother who does about an hr away. Please give me your price, and I will let the cat out of the bag of what the price is here, and there later.

Residential, private rd. 1/10th of a mile long, moderate terrain, wet area in field half way down on one side, paved residential drive way at the end, with 2 spots 1 on each side of the house like and L. 2 turn around in different areas, the private rd is hard pack, not gravel in good shape only 2 pot holes. Lets hear some thoughts, if you need more info, just ask!
  2. starc

starc Senior Member

Not sure what the going price is but if I do any after my commercial lots are done...1 or 2 car drive, just a simple pass or two either back bladeing or pushing straight ahead if possible $30 No shoveling included.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

About the same as the average around here, $30.00 a driveway minimum.
  4. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i have two that i get 35 for they hold 5 cars long and i know them...
  5. Ocean Side

Ocean Side Member

Thanks for the great replys!
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I always hear of guys getting a single or double driveway for 25-30 bucks but those people seem to avoid me like the plague,lol. I honestly have trouble getting 15 bucks a driveway thats why we primarily do commercial. In fact we only do 1 or 2 residential driveways that are'nt connected to our commercial accounts.
  7. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I have a 30.00 minimum. Average is 35.00 for my residential accounts.
  8. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

ok, I'm closer to you so this may or may not help

I have a $20.00 minimum, but I also do senior citizen discount so that goes down a bit sometimes. On average I get 25-35 for a residential drive in Manchester/Goffstown. Average drive is 40' long, 2 cars wide, would be $25.00 with shoveling between where I plow and the garage doors. I do have a couple drives in ritzy neighborhoods where I get $65.00 for a 85' long, 1 car wide that widens in front of a 3 car garage, and $90.00 for a 85' 2 car wide that widens into a 3 car garage. both have slight turns, but good clear area to work in. I'm curious to hear what your rates are for same
  9. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I think anybody charging any thing less than $30. is crazy for a min. With the cost of trucks,repairs, fuel. Back in 1987 I bought my first new truck a 3/4 ton gmc. truck cost me $13,000 new 8 ft fisher plow was $1,250 installed, to fix a bown tranny would cost you $1,000. and gas was $1.20 a gal . Back then the going rate was $20 $25 for a drive.
  10. lucky13rme

lucky13rme Member

I have a few residentials that are $25 basically 2cars wide by 2 cars long, but most of them are $35 to $50.
  11. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

higher prices...

I do almost only residential and I don't plow anything for less then $35.-. My average price is $40 to $45. You have to keep in mind that most residential drive ways are small and have tight corners, Lots of places to scrape up you truck on branches etc. If a drive is lined with curbs or paver's I charge at least 40.- and have them sign a contract that states that I'm not responsible for damage...

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

nothing less then $32.00 per time for driveways.
  13. all seasons

all seasons Member

Am I a minority if I say who cares what the going rate is in my area because it has nothing to do with the money that I need to make or the quality of service that my company provides, yes I have a minimum charge for residentials which is $35.00 per visit but as far as going rates I couldn't care less.If they want cheap I tell them good luck and move on.
  14. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

I think that some people out there might be starting out and want to get a ball park price so not to lowball or under value them selfs I know some don't care if they are over the local price range but it doesn't hurt to keep competitive .
    I won't tell a customer I am the best in town so I won't charge the top dollar that others go for .
  15. ToyotaPusher

ToyotaPusher Junior Member

My specialty

35 bucks, minimum. For less than that, they can shovel it themselves.
  16. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Well $25 is the average driveway here though $30 is starting to become the norm now.Out in the suburbs its even more.

Most expensive lot I've ever been attached to was a small plaza when I was 18 running a loader for a family friend and that was around 55 grand a year to plow and salt plus another 2 grand in the spring to sweep up.
  17. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Here in Hunterdon Cnty, NJ we get $40 minimum (drives 10'x100 average) up to $85. This is for up to 8", over 8" we get 1.75 x that rate, so $70 to 150 per event. We are contracted for 75 drive again this year. Two large commercials and three drivers. If it ever snows.......

One thing I've learned over the years, only take driveways in a certain radius. All of our drives and commercials are with 2 miles of each other, no exceptions unless they want to wait until everything else is finished first.
  18. 1st Bow

1st Bow Junior Member
    from nw ohio

Back when I was starting out doing electical residential wiring, I asked a plumber on the job how much do you charge. Well he said raise your price up till the phone stops ringing then you know your too high.
    I guess that's why I hate sending out bills. It seems like they are always too much, but on the other hand I hate getting the high bills even more....sigh.
  19. Ocean Side

Ocean Side Member

I couldn't say it better!
  20. Ocean Side

Ocean Side Member

It seems to me that the guys running around playing business are charging on average 25$ those are the guys though that do not pay taxes and proberly are not insured. I am not saying that this is a fact but maybe a good asumption.

Some seem to be charging 30 -35 a storm, and that seems to be a let it snow and pray it doesnt snow more than 4" if you have to go back one time you will be loosing money on gas, insurance, and your own time.

Others seem to go by the push 30-35 and people dont want to pay that for a residential and keep on shopping.

I have heard others Charging 30-35$ for 3-4" trigger and $15-17.50 for each return trip every 3-4" and $2 an inch after 12"

What do you guys think is the best method? whats the most common practice, and are these pricing methods skewed or right on?