1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's Your Preference...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redman6565, Aug 17, 2010.

1. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

So what do you guys prefer, hourly...per trip...or seasonals?

I think personally, I love the per trips the best, specially when it's set up in incriments of snowfall, i.e. x = 1-3" y = 3.5-6" etc, etc.

How about you?
  2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Mine are half seasonal and half per trip .........I make my margins no matter what type of winter we have
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

80% per storm
    20% seasonal
  4. redman6565

us too with the split, but if I had my way, I think I'd transfer everything to per trip if possible, or at least hourly. some of the seasonals just don't have the profit mark ups like they used to, so I hate wishing for a hard and eventful winter with some of them.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

All seasonal.If you plan right you don't lose money.
  6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I still make my margins on the larger ones.......I chose not to work for any nationals....ussmileyflagpayup
  7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Everything is per trip for me right now. I have put in a few bids on seasonal, but I haven't landed them. They usually go for cheap. But that would be nice to get a guaranteed amount. I am going to be thinking about doing a few of those this year.
  8. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

How i do it

single resi. per trip what the market will bear with additional 50% charge over 8 in. and Longer storms full price every pass. Assoc. (townhome) hourly for big and small work. Salt app charge by the 10lbs increment plus hourly rate. seems to work well as long as I can get my wife to get the bills out. (My character flaw is being bad at the paper work)
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

80% of my stuff is seasonal. If I had my way it would all be seasonal.

There are good reasons for both but seasonal works best for me.
  10. Neige

Neige Sponsor

100 % seasonal, we also pay our employees seasonal. Makes billing a whole lot easier, and a steady income throughout the winter. Have been doing it this way for 51 years. :drinkup:
  11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

agree'd, you cant really loose at seasonal... you'll make money no matter what, maby on a bad winter just not so much / hour as you'd have liked... but it sure pay's when you have a light winter...

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have a good mix of seasonal and per push. My bigger stuff is seasonal and the smaller places are mostly per push. There are a few apartments I do that even the removal is included in the seasonal.

I would prefer to have all seasonal. I pay my workers seasonally.

I would have to say my area is very old fashioned and likes their per push and even wants sand only if really needed. Its taken me a long time to sell the seasonal.
  13. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

I am only hourly, due to Tulsa Oklahoma has known not to even get a snow I can push. So when it does the phone rings and off I go. Do have some contract to push. I do a few salt jobs but last year that was done 50% and we had a lot of ice.
  14. redman6565

you pay your employees seasonally? how'd you manage to set that up?
  15. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I will give you the coles version. We guarantee a certain amount of money for the season, and divide it up over 28 weeks. I wont go into more detail but its all legit.
  16. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

80% per push, 20% seasonal. becoming more and more of a fan of seasonal all the time.
  17. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

We have a healthy mix of seasonals, all-inclusives, per-push, hourly and "a la carte" agreements. It does complicate the billing process....

It sure would be nice to simplify and standardize the terms and agreements across the board...but whatever type of agreement the client wants, the client gets. We're easy and custom with them that way.

Residentials, for the most part are all seasonal.
  18. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

28 Weeks? Thats a long winter.
  19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's Canada,that's a short season for him!:D
  20. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Our contracts go from Nov.1 - April 15. We start them as of Oct 15, they stake their clients, and learn their routes, so when Nov 1st comes along we are ready to go. We stretch it till end of April for retrieval of stakes, equipment cleanup and repairs. Johnny it has more to do with UI.