1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats your pick...and why

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, Apr 17, 2007.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I purchased ,as a temporary truck for this year, a 96 Dodge regular cab 2500 fisher 7.5 v8 .Anyway when I was plowing yesterday the snow was heavy and wet.Yes, some places there were 5-6" of this which is different than 6" of fluff.The last truck was a Dodge 98 2500 ext cab.Is there any difference with torque, power between these two.And second, what is your choice for all around power when plowing.I ask because this truck could not back up a 40 deg grade on a drive the last truck could have easily have accomplished this.This was after the driveway was plowed with 300lbs of salt in the back.I want to make a better selection next year. Dave

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

1.What is the gearing in the rear end? 4:10? Different gears will make a difference.

2. sounds like the reverse band is going bad.

3. jss304

jss304 Junior Member

I agree with the reverse possibly going out. However, to describe the differences between these two years we need to know if the 98 was built in the beginning or second half of the year. Up until the first half of 98, the motors were 12 valve, but in the second half of 98 cummins changed to a 24 valve setup. I don't know the specs, but the 24valves of that year i drove were dogs and did not seem to hve near the power as the 12v. It could just be those two I suppose.
    -Jason

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Your 98 (short bed?) is 10" longer than the 96, which shouldn't factor into the maneuverability of the trucks very much. You're probably getting into mechanical issues of a 12 year old truck.