1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what's your opinion

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by londonlailoni, May 28, 2009.

1. londonlailoni

londonlailoni Junior Member

I'm a newbee from Chicago.
    I don't have the money to buy a truck and a plow.
    So I have an idea and a plan
    I have a 2003 trail blazer can I attach any thing to it?

If not I'm going start off with a good snow blower and in the fall pass out advertisment to residential properties; houses acourse. I'm going to let this up coming winter pay for the truck and the plow for next year. what do you guys think.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Everyone starts somewhere so knock yourself out. Do you plan on purchasing general liability insurance? That's another cost that you should factor in.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  3. londonlailoni

londonlailoni Junior Member

truthfully, i wasn't planning on doing it with snow blowing. I see that you feel its needed. I'm going to start looking in to it. I have a lot to figure out. I have to figure out what to charge for my area and buy me a decent/affordable snow blower that'll get the job done. thank you for your reply. I see everybody on here was talking about plow. I almost figured i needed to go to a different site.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

They do make plows for the trailblazer. Western, Fisher, Snoway, pretty sure boss and Blizzard also make something for it.

5. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I know someone that plows small stuff with the Envoy,sister to the Trailblazer. They use the Western Suburbanite plow.

6. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

Last winter I did snow removal with strictly snow throwers and shovels etc. no plow mounted on truck.

Yes Plowsite mainly caters to plows but there are few here who move snow with just blowers.

The only way to do snow removal "blower only" and effectively is in a dense residential area where NOT using a plow offers the customers a more desirable result. I believe I have some of the best equipment for the job but you will still be limited.

Lets just say grass grow gradually and can be mowed through out the week. Snow is an emergency of sorts and people want in gone fairly quickly. Christmas Day, New Years, your birthday, your kid is sick...who cares people want the snow gone or they will call someone else.

We had another year of record snowfall last winter and frankly I'm 50/50 on possibly getting out of snow removal completely.

During the big storms you can do OK $ wise but every Joe six pack with a blower is running ads in the service paper "lowest prices in town" and every retire and unemployed person is clearing snow for cheap. People want something for next to nothing. I try to price my work at a solid $1+ a minute and frankly that is probably to low all things considered. I had 2 people on contract with no cap on total snow fall and I lost on those accounts badly. They got their moneys worth after week 2 of winter.

I have insurance - more than some of the operators here who have a blade on a truck but there is mentality that big heavy snow falls means everyone needs to pitch in and bail out your neighbor. Kinda of like a volunteer fire department when your house catches on fire. Yes I once was a Volunteer Firefighter and that is great place to learn but when it cuts into ones ability to make a living then it creates a conflict with reality. Same with snow removal - just my $0.02.

I'm still undecided for this next winter - time will tell. :salute: