1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats your opinion

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowplow12345, Dec 28, 2006.

1. snowplow12345

snowplow12345 Member

Just went by local used ford dealership, and they have a 2003 F-350 9ft steel dump, v-10. 4x4, snowway lobo plow, looks stainless steel. 30000miles. i dont have any pics but the chassis is rust free no dents, the dump body has minor rust, no large dents. interior is clean. from what i can tell, no oil leaks. with this description do you think its worth the $25000 they are asking for it?

2. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare Member
    from Indiana

I am not an expert on pricing, but I am from NE Indiana and looked at a 2003 almost sounds Identical to the one you are looking at with the exception of being a diesel and had a 9'5" Boss V-Plow on it for $25,500. If that helps you compare any..45,000 miles on it I believe.

3. snowplow12345

snowplow12345 Member

I think the biggest draw back would be the v-10. anyone have pros or cons on this motor.

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I love the V10. It is strong and had very little issues. Watch out for spark plug and manifold bolt problems. Other than that it is great.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I was reading an article about the Ford engines and this might just be for 07 but I think they would be fairly close, out of all of their engines (v-8/v-10/ diesel) the v-10 was the worst on fuel mileage (imagine that,lol) but had decent power, 362hp and 457ft lbs of torque. At this point of the game with Ford's 6.0l diesel your probably better off with the V-10. Just my .02

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

All anyone can ever talk about with the V10 is the gas mileage. If gas milage is that important plow and tow trailers with a VW Bug. If you want a real work truck, who cares about gas mileage? When you factor in the added cost of a diesel you would have to drive a ton of miles to offset the price. My V10 gets about 13-15 MPG and that is 50% highway and 50% around town and city driving. Now if you are looking at a diesel for the power, longevity, and reliability that is one this, but if you base a decision solely on gas mileage you should reconsider buying a truck and maybe look for an import!:D

7. snowplow12345

snowplow12345 Member

I appreciate all the info. My thought about diesel vs. gas is the fact that i will only put about 12000 miles on this truck per year. With the extra cost of diesel I would have to say i should be ok with this truck. There seems to be alot of talk about the diesel motor, and I have not heard or read much about the v-10. I was just wondered if anybody had a major problems since this truck i am looking at is out of warantee. I always worry about buying anything used since you never know how abused this vehicle was before, although buying new never guarantees no problems, at least those are usually covered.

8. John from OH

John from OH Member

For comparrison, I bought an '01 F450 4wd, no plow, in almost identical condition and configuration to the one you are looking at. I paid $18000 and the truck had 34,000 miles on it. The V10 has plenty of power and it gets better milage than the 1 ton GMC 4wd it replaced. I would shoot them an offer 10-15% below what they are asking or see if they will throw in an extended warranty since that truck will be 5 model years old in a few days.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The V-10 is a great engine. If you want to see more info and opinions on the V-10 go to www.fte.com and then go to the V-10 forum. Offer them about $4000 less and they will come back with a dollar amount that should be a great buy. Tim, here is the link for the V-10 page. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  10. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I'd try to pick it up for $22,000. If not walk...

V10 is great, I aggree with First Time Out...

I have an 2000 with the V10 and 50k miles, and had the manifold bolt problem (broke off and had to retap)... The other problem is with the spark plugs, there is only 3 threads holding them in. Otherwise get it.

11. qualitylandscap

qualitylandscap Member

Sounds like a good deal to me. I got a v10 in my f-250 and I get 12mpg around town and 10mpg hauling my 18ft trailer with two Dixie's on it. The v10 is a good motor hauls a load just as good as a diesel I almost bought.

12. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

better than the V-8 but still a very good engine. Plus a diesel would add about $5000