1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whats your opinion

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jay77, Jan 2, 2005.

1. jay77

jay77 Junior Member

hey all im new to the board and have to say this place is great!
    ive been tossing around the idea of putting a plow on my new f250 super duty. my dad who used to plow says dont do it cause it will trash the truck! the truck is brand new and of course i dont wanna tear it up but i thought with a little common sense and regular maintenance the truck could do more than handle plowing . most of our events we get here would prolly be chemicals only and we get bout maybe 24" of snow in a season if were lucky . i was looking at a 7.5 western pro plow and a tailgate spreader . so whats u guys opinion ?? thanks
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Welcome to plowsite. :waving:
    As with any vehicle, there's always going to be something to fix eventually when putting a plow on. No vehicle is immune from it. With your truck, I'd say go for it. :nod:
  3. danno

danno Senior Member

Also, how its used is factored in. Being careful and not rushing, how much time the plow is mounted to the vehicle, etc...
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

That truck will more than handle a 7.5 western. Its the operator who abuses the truck.
  5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I would not recommend a 7.5 plow for a 3/4 ton.
    Too narrow. Would go with a 8' or 8'6" :)
  6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I would recommend at least an 8' plow. Of course you can plow with it and not screw it up, its an F-250 its not made for grocery shopping. You bought all that truck now use it for something! Just be careful as you said and your all set to go. I have not had any problems with my F-150 or Cherokee, both much more light duty vehicles then your F-250.
  7. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

I agree with Bolts the 7.5 is too narrow and you will be driving your rear wheels through the snow when you on a curve then tis snow is packed and hard to get off the drive, go with the 8 or the 8.5]
  8. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Yup I would go with the 8ft it works fine. The one thing I would do is to get the X front springs if you don't have them or a set of timbrens for the front.
    You may have a wimpy set of springs on there now..

9. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

i have a 7.5 fisher on mine and it is coming off the first chance i get. Just waiting for a little extra money then a 9" xblade is going on. I have the diesel and the stock fron springs and with the 7.5 the front only drops alittle. I think with the 9 i am going to put the x springs in.
  10. jay77

jay77 Junior Member

if i do put a plow on it will prolly b a 8ft western and a set of timbrens on the front and rear. thanx for the info guys
  11. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

It's an F-250. It's made to be worked. How much you work it is up to you. If your doing residential be carelful.(low hanging branches, driveway markers and so on). If you get stuck, try the forward and reverse trick no more that twice. Anymore than that, you may tear the transmission up. Also, if your doing residential, forget the spreader....get out and do it by hand or with a broadcast spreader. Use the big spreader for commercial use.
    If I would have bought a 7.5' blade I would have been pissed. Go with 8' as it will cover the Ford's wheelbase nicely completely angled. Hope this helps you.

2002 F-250SD w/ Western Ultramount 8.0'
  12. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

I owm one

Its a money truck. "add a leaf" and rock the town.Why did you buy a 250(work truck) do it............