1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats your opinion of this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProSno, Oct 29, 2003.

1. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

New snow flap from Blizzard, Whats your opinion? would you make your own? (thats my future driver standing there) Or would you buy this and save the time and effort and just bolt it up?

2. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Side view

3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I'm cheap so i went to a local gravel pit and got a piece of conveyor belting, that is about 1/2 inch thick and i cut it 10 inches wide and used 1/8 x 1" steel flat stock to mount on top of it. Just had to drill the plow to mount it. Works great for less than 10 bucks invested and 1/2 hour time (mostly cutting the rubber to size)
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've always done the same thing as snowjoker, I've got an account at the gravel bank 5 minutes from me. It doesn't look quite as nice but works just the same.

The only exception was my Diamonds. With those I purchased the steel snow foils since they were trip edge plows.
  5. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

I purchased the actual Blizzard snow deflectors as you did for your plow. They seem to work great and cover more of the plow than possible with anything else due to the wing designs. Also when putting the wings all the way forward it kinda puts a cap on the top of it all to help contain the snow in front of you as you go alone using the plow as a pusher so to speak.
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

I would make my own,but only because I have the ability to do so.Sometimes you can't beat the convenience of just bolting on the right OEM part though.
  7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

that looks a bit on the whimpy side, it should be over 8" tall for that style of plow
  8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I use the conveyor belt too on my plow.Just woundering on the side wings that slide out it looks like that piece is just bolted from one side to the other.Does it look like that to every one else?
  9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I am also running Conveyor belt. I have a piece of belt from Suzio Quory. If you want a piece Bill for the other Plow let me know and maybe Friday I can go up with you and get a piece.

10. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

Sorry to jump in a couple of days late, but it's just been a couple of months since I've been to this site. It's snowing now and I'm starting to get my enthusiasm back.
    I made my own snow deflector for my 810 exactly the same way as I made the one for the Western I used to have, except that I didn't attach it at the ends where the wings start. It worked very well for me last season and is working great so far this season. If you use stiff enough belting and a stiff weight all the way out to the end on the lower edge, the wings when tipped in will just flex it a little, but it will straighten out (almost) when you retract. It would be shorter than the blade is when it is extended of course, but it's very very effective in my opinion.
    If I can figure out how to attach a picture, I'll send along a couple that I've taken of it. I think you might also see the adjustable airfoil I built to solve the heating problem.
  11. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Someone help this man out he's got snow,and pict's:eek: :D
  12. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

Since a lot of you guys have deflectors on 810's, I thought I would ask you if it was a necessity? Did you find that a lot of snow came up over the blade? This is our first year with our Blizzard, and we don't want to get into our first snow and find out snow is flying at our windows. Are there any drawbacks of a deflector?
  13. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

send the pics to snowplowjay@snet.net. I always post pics or help people so they can get the pics up.

14. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Two factors... How wet is the snow and How fast do you want to go??

Wet heavy snow... nope don't need it. Above 15 mph yes you will need it (road plowing)

Do I need it all the time, no. BUT I can't stand having my wipers iced over from the blown up snow
  15. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

Griff, I don't think it matters too much what kind of plow you have- once you have a deflector, you can't go back.
  16. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

The way I seen this was #one I'm a single parent with no time, two I have to run my landscape operation, three I am the designer,bidder, buyer, seller-not to mention housekeeper-shopkeeper, along with being mommy and daddy so for me the $180.00 (about) was worth it to just bolt it on and be done in half an hour. Hopefully it works well. Just bought a second one, oh the money of it all:cry: :cry:
  17. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Bill nothing wrong with going that route They work for me I got my belt for free just cut and bolted it ,The reason i went thoat way besides it being free is that is what I had on the town truck i drove and I liked the way it fuctioned.