1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's your ideal snow removal tool?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BigG, Feb 12, 2013.

1. BigG

BigG Member

So, I'm a dreamer with alot of time to think. I'm only 30, but my retirement dream is to have a piece of equipment that I could do my subdivision's driveways with. There are probably 50 houses... so estimating that half would hire me... it would be to pass the time, not get ritch... so my fee would be attractive... it would just be nice to cover the cost of the machine and upkeep. Driveways probably average 100', and come in all configurations. At 1st I thought; no brainer... tracked skid steer with a snowblower!... but after giving it some thought, I'd like to take the wife along too... so perhaps a SXS with tracks and cab... but that's kinda light duty for heavyer or deeper snow.

So that leads me to my question; what would work best? Obviously nothing's going to be perfect... most things are a compromise.

Home made's not out of the question either. This thing's pretty awesome!
    Homemade Tractor Plowing After Another Snow Storm - YouTube

Some things I have in mind it sould have;

-tight turning radius
    -good visibility

What I'm not sure of;

-tracks or tires?
    -if tracks... 4 with two that steer, or two like a dozer?
    -if tires... fat or skinny? My gut says skinny to dig down... but that home made rig I posted seems to do well with fatties.
    -also if tires... single steering, dual steer, or articulating?

Two home made visions that come to mind; #1 would have dual 14 bolt axles that articulate with 53" XZL Michelins (both can be had for cheap), S10 cab in either a cab over configuration, or rear mounted engine (somehow LOL)

#2 would be a cab over truck (Hino, GMC...) with the driveshaft running a hydraulic pump... running two motors on full length tracks.

Let's hear it!
  2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Skid steer for sure, something in a Caterpillar, Sirius XM radio a must and give me a bucket, 10' plow and a blower just in case. Also, FWIW, I used to plow cuz I enjoyed it, then it was to get away from the wife. Now that I've gotten rid of her its a lot more fun again :Thumbs Up:
  3. BigG

BigG Member

4. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

You forgot the massive over-sized flame thrower......
  5. BigG

BigG Member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  6. BigG

BigG Member

Now you're just being silly! LOL

If I were going that nuts I'd just heat my driveway.
  7. BigG

BigG Member

8. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Something with a blower on one end, a plow (with all the features - downpressure, V, etc) on the other end, and a swiveling drivers seat with controls on both sides so you operate comfortably in either direction.
  9. BigG

BigG Member

This is very similar to option #1... but mine would be home made and uglyer LOL

10. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

For you, a farm tractor with wheels and a second seat (for your wife), 3-point inverted blower on the back, loader on the front.
  11. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I'm always into home made, and who cares what it looks like as long as it works.
    As far as tracks/tires, wide/narrow ? First is what do you want to do with it ? do you want to ride up ontop of piles to stack them as high as possible, or just plow it off and maybe push it up a little. Here is a way to look at width. a snow shoe is made wide to spread out and keep you on top. A wide tire or track is going to do the same thing, it spreads out the weight over a larger area and works better to ride up ontop of piles, Where a narrow tire will cut through the snow to stay down on hard serface. Now for me I think tracks would be really neat BUT I would also want to play with it in the summer and tracks would tear stuff apart way to easily, so I think I would stay away from them.
  12. Piston

Piston Junior Member

This is the exact same thing I posted over on the TBN thread.

You couldn't beat a good sized tractor with buddy seat and inverted blower. (IMO)

See here:
  13. BigG

BigG Member

Very good points. So in keeping with that logic, seeing as how most yards are tight with limited room to stack snow... and the fact that our snow banks usually melt between storms... the tracks are out... unless it were on a SXS.

What are thoughts about a Ranger XP with cab, tracks and blower/ blade? Probably talking about $25k... but I think it would be a good setup... though maybe a little on the light duty side of things.
  14. BigG

BigG Member

Aww, ya caught me! LOL Just looking for opinions from folks with different backgrounds.
  15. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

jeep wrangler, ARB lockers, 456 gears, MANUAL (NO F&^&*&% auto trans) V plow, Down pressure, MASSIVE counter weight, Blizzak tires.... HHHHMMmmm kinda like what I made payupThumbs Up:mechanic:
  16. BigG

BigG Member

LOL, I've got the Wrangler, lockers and gears...

Check out the "Let's see some Jeep pictures" thread in the Jeep Forum.

I love to see/ hear details of your counterweight. I've thought of putting some 2" square in my reciever with a peice of round stock through it, and weight lifting plates on it. I've got a couple 35lb ers... 6 or 8 would be a significant amount I would think.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  17. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

That's just ridiculous, napalm has longer residual.
  18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I thought it was kind of cool...until he pushed it across the street. Left it in the road too. Not cool at all.

His neighbor across the street will be bumming even more when I blow the edges of the street into his driveway.
  19. BigG

BigG Member

I would assume that he has permission to put it on that guy's lawn... and by the looks of it the street hadn't been done yet... so what little he left wasn't more then what's already there. Just my opinion.
  20. djr623

djr623 Member