1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats your guys take on this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hey guys my question is when you are going to go plow someones driveway, do you plow up to there driveway as you are driving there or just raise the plow and drop it once you get there? I was just wondering if you plow all the way to there house, the state guys are slow to get the back roads. Or just wait till its done snowing thanks alot!

2. CHEVYPLOWDUDE

CHEVYPLOWDUDE Junior Member

plowing

JUST PLOW IT!:) THERE NO SNOW HERE IN IL YET :realmad: HOPE IT COMES SOON :alien: :jester:

3. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I plow what I am getting paid for. If you pay... I'll play. :cool:

4. CHEVYPLOWDUDE

CHEVYPLOWDUDE Junior Member

plow

if ya want to waste time and gas plow all the way from your house to the drives ya do other wise do jut the drives

5. Rappa

Rappa Member

Are you nuts? Why would you abuse your plow and truck and not get payed for it? That is one of the craziest things I have ever heard.

6. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

This is why we pay taxes- to let the city take care of the roads. Just do the driveway and wherever you have to push the snow to, then if the street doesn't get done they won't call you. If someone sees you doing the street, they will probably call YOU to complain next time it doesn't get done fast enough.

8. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

If I'm reading your post right, I say let the town/county/state plow the road. Don't waste your gas/fuel on them. Plus, if you hit a raised a manhole, or something similar, in the roadway and bust your plow, who's paying for it? Certainly not the town. Heck they may try to fine you for using your plow on their roads. Just my .02 on it.

Ryan

9. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

no way. I plow what i'm getting paid for, I'm not gonna bust my trucks up on a road that I'm not getting paid to do. Plowing is abusive enough on the trucks as it is and I don't see a need to abuse them even more than I have to. The only time I've ever plowed roads that i wasn't getting paid on has been during very large storms where the raods wern't plowed yet and I was getting stuck trying to gett where I had to go without the blade down.

10. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Thanks alot guys yeah heres what Ive come up with if I have to plow the street to get to their driveway, I shouldnt be there anyway I will just wait till the state trucks make it. Thanks alot!

11. DJL

DJL Senior Member

again, everyone's situation is different. however, I price it as a per visit. I'll explain to the client in the beginning of the season that I'll service their drive when the storm is over (provided the snow is less than 6 inches, more than that requires more than one trip). If the township/state trucks haven't plowed yet, not my problem. I'll also explain for me to come back it is "X" amount of dollars to clean up the roadcrews pile of snow. hope this sheds a little light on the situation.

12. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Murphy's Law as it applies to Snow Plowing:

No matter how long you wait to plow a driveway for a client, the city/county/state will be along 10 minutes after you leave and plow the driveway in.

:bluebounc purplebou :redbounce

13. peewee

peewee Member

I think what you are saying is does anyone plow the road portion in front of the house in order to reduce the amount the street plow will push in front of the driveway. In other words, the 25 or so feet before the driveway. In bigger storms for good customers I do push a bit here so I don't have to come back and so I don't have to charge a good customer a high price for the end of the driveway later. It's 2 seconds of work and no extra wear or tear, just alot of goodwill.

14. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

I thought that only happened to me!:gunsfiring:

15. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if the person is willing to pay for the extra
    service i wouldnt hesitate to do it
    just make sure the road in good condition
    and no raised manhole covers
    hate top see that v plow self destruck
    john
    (sure wish i could pm somebody)

16. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

better check the laws in your state, i bet it is illegal to plow a road unless you are contracted to do it

17. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

That's a good point...we do a big mall here with a lot of road around it, we're responsible for a piece of it, the rest is county property, well first storm my guy cleas it all up real nice and the county guys yelled at him for doing it...we're not allowed to touch it anymore, it causes all sorts of liability issues, and why do more work then u have to. I know no one needs to deal with any more fines or tckets then you have to.
    Casey

18. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

no way let the dpw or state do there job :nono:

19. North Country

North Country Senior Member

If this is what Craftybigdog is asking then yes we do, we always used to push back the lead edge so the drive isn't as buried when we come back. As soon as the directional was on the blade was down, we don't have many residentials anymore but we also do it on the commercials.

20. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

No way Jose, no taking a risk of busting the plow just because the city guys are behind. Just put it in 4 wheel drive and punch throuhg. Maybe if there were more than like 10" of snow but you're taking a big risk at damaging your truck and plow. Those big city truck can plow that fast cause they have curbguards and poly cutting edges on those big plows so they can plow at high speed and hit a few potholes and their truck will still be fine. Just not worth it in my mind.