1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whats your fuel usage with any tier4 diesels your running?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

We have multiple JD skid steers, all D series cab machines from 2010-2013. We rented a 329E model with no hours on it and another with 300hrs on it, both 2013 models, with the 3.1L yanmar diesel and DPF.... both machines are sucking through fuel so quick you'd swear they sprung a leak in the tank.

When the engine is loaded, they're using considerably more than our comperable machines with tier 3 JD engines. not working them as hard still is noticable but not the 2-1 ratio for fuel usage.

I'm estimating these two machines, when doing the same snow work as the JD diesel machines, are using twice the fuel... or about 5+ gph versus about 2-3 of the JD engine machines.

All the machines that are 2010-2012 are tier3 JD 2.4L 4 cylinders or 3.0L 5 cylinders, and use about 2/3gph respectively. The yanmar 3.1L engine machines are using a minimum of about 4.5 and maximum of almost 6... which seems impossible.

The two 329E machines on different sites, with 10' snow boxes on them are low on fuel after 4-6hrs and taking 21-25 gallons to refuel. which i the best is 21 gallons in 6hrs is 3.5gph... but i don't have exact #s so at best they're getting 3.5gph usage...

All of the JD machines can run for 9-13hrs usually before they're low.

The dealer said this is normal.

Our 12 329D with the 3.0L 5cyl JD engine is the SAME machine as these and doesnt suck fuel... the 329E machine lists sticker price at almost 9 grand more than what the 329D list price was a year ago :/

I have to say, we will not be keeping either machine!

2. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

We are running 2 Bobcat toolcats, one is 2 years old and the second one we just took delivery of last week, it is brand new. We were out blowing back snow, both ran same amount of time, and the new one was on E and the older one was just between half and quarter of a tank left. New one is tier 4 engine.

3. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

yea for the environment huh epa.... :waving::waving:

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Nixon was an idiot in so many ways.

Freaking brilliant. As usual, they are not more efficient and will cost more to maintain and repair.

Man I love government.

5. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

To them it's all about the smelly stuff that comes out the pipe. Doesn't matter that you burn 2x as much and the environmental impact that has....

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yes sir, there goes the resale value on pre Tier 4 equipment. Sky high, that is.

7. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Problem is, those that own them won't want to let them go (like me) because why would I want to trade to something that burns more fuel. Funny thing is, highway trucks in some cases have improved in the last stage or two. I guess the equipment companies have a ways to go before that happens.

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You're not the only one who's noticed. Prices on used iron are up lately and I can't help but wonder if this isn't a large contributing factor.

9. Ramairfreak98ss

We bought a 2012 323D track JD tier 3 in December too, with 225hrs on it and nearly new, we still paid almost full price. The tier4 machine is 9k more and JD has only made minor "nice" changes to the hood latch system and rear bumper itself. The few minor changes can't cost that much more.

Facts are... the machine sucks fuel, it feels dead in re-gen mode, more hp feels like a little less even when not in regen mode and biggest of them all, cant make it through a snow storm without refueling midway through :/

10. Ramairfreak98ss

And part of it is that its taking these already expensive machines and making them unattainable to the average company.

What used to already cost $75k is now $85k... im sorry but 75k for any skid/track machine is already the celing... thats nearly a hundred grand with an extra bucket and sales tax!!

11. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

My new T590 is burning about 2 gal an hour plowing snow and clearing sidewalks. I'm pretty happy with it so far as we approach 100 hours.

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Im in the market for a new skid steer for next season and the Bobcat salesman was bosting about the new tier 4 engines and how much better theyre going to be, bla, bla, bla and I was talking to a guy who just bought one and he said the same as you guys, it sucks down fuel like Kool Aid! Im keeping my eyes out for a 2010-11 model.

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I might as well stick 10k into my New Holland and make it look and run like its brand new, I'd probably be further ahead.

14. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

What are you running on it for an attachment?

15. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

When we are doing walks, either a 66" bucket or our 68" power broom. When we are doing lots, it usually has our 100" snow bucket or occasionally our 10' box. Goes about 11 hours on a tankful.

I can't say as though I'm unhappy at all though.....when its side by side with our Cat 297c it goes about 3-4 more hours before it needs fuel but I realize they are very different machines.

16. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

This last storm I averaged 2.6 gph with my 262C, ran over 15 hrs. straight. I thought it was going to be 3 or a little more, I was working it hard.

IMG_3109.jpg

17. Ditchdiggin

Ditchdiggin Member

Greenmtboy: Are those fenders on your skid steer? I'm not that up to date on the Cat stuff but is that a factory item? Also what tires and how do you like them? Thanks!

Now back to the topic... I'm in the market for a new machine but this has me having some second thoughts. I have a S175 Bobcat now and it'll burn around 2.5-3 gph with a 88" snow bucket working it pretty hard. Summertime in the dirt averages around 1.5 gph.

18. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Yeah that's not too shabby. I find with skid steers if you can get the operator to not go full throttle all the time it makes a huge difference.

There's absolutely no reason to run full throttle on anything unless you need every bit of hydraulic flow (like running a blower when you are trying to get distance out of it).

My S250 (80hp) will go as long as 15 hours if you are doing loader work and keep the revs down to 1600 (lots of power still at that rpm). That's on about 60-70L roughly (17 US gal = just over 1 gph). But when its on its driveway route running the blower and road travel, it will go through that in less than 8 hours (over 2gph). This is on a 2008 model year so none of the emissions crap.

I was going to trade last year on a Cat 262 brand new (pre DPF) which I maybe should have done, but the trade value they would give me on mine wasn't what I felt the loader was worth, not even close. Now I am thinking I'll keep it for a few more years until they get the kinks worked out of the tier 4 stuff.

19. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Check this out http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=125732

I'm definitely not a fan of tier4, almost makes you want to go out and buy a couple used ones to have for later use haha.

20. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

If that's what you're paying for new 329D/E machines, then you need a new dealer and fast.

I'd sell you all the 329E machines you want, loaded with everything but high flow and reversing fan for 75K, including an extra bucket and tax.

With that being said, yes they're harder on fuel, I don't like it either. I'm of the same theory as someone above...how is it better for the environment if you burn more fuel, no matter how much lower the emissions out the exhaust are? It has to go somewhere...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014