1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite brand of snowplow ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HEStufrthnnails, Dec 23, 2009.

1. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

Hi Guys, I know we all have our favorite brands of plows. Here's a great opportunity to let us know what brand ? What makes it a standout ? And with every brand there's a downside, a bad point. So lets here about . It will make us all a little better shoppers and a little better prepared come game day! Also might win a few brand loyalists to your camp.Lol
    I'll start I guess. I've only used three brands. Meyer , Western , and now a Boss. The Meyer was a old E47 so I won't rate that one. But I have a 8.5 uni-mount and that thing is ol'reliable . Only complaint is I sure burn up the solenoids/ switch's. The Boss is 9.2 V. Awesome plow. It's heavy and of course can scoop and v so it cuts the time in about a third. I don't like the spring return. I haven't had any problems,but I like the idea of being able to back drag and just the :salute:control of two way hydraulics.
  2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

out of the one plows that i have had i would have to say boss is my favorite
  3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

2006 Blizzard 810 pre- DD. replaced cutting edge once$$$ No problems besides losing some funtions one time because of
    not keeping plug greased.
  4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I like my western but if I ever bought new = BOSS
  5. HEStufrthnnails

Leigh,what's DD?
  6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Douglas Dynamics(fisher-western) bought blizzard a couple years ago and screwed around with design
  7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

been happy with western , never had a problem that i didnt see coming or expect
  8. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Warn Snow Plows.
  9. redstroker_2002

redstroker_2002 Member

boss all the way!!
  10. HEStufrthnnails

Leigh, Oh that's right. I remember that . A friend is a Big Blizzard fan and he was telling me that back then. Don't forget the goods and bad's. That's gonna be helpful.
  11. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

12. HEStufrthnnails

I really like the stainless. I wouldn't mind trying a Fisher V plow. We've got a new Fisher dealer in the area to.
  13. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Boss all the way
  14. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Well I own fisher, western, arctic, boss, blizzard, and had a meyer

Plowing wise as an operator, I like the blizzard 810 the best.

As also the mechanic, I hate the thing. Its the most finicky tempermental plow I have ever seen. So many electrical components and so many "little things" that can go wrong that render the plow useless.

As far as the other trucks though, they are all straight blades. So they all plow the same to me.
    One truck has a boss vplow which is nice.

Not quite the efficiency as the blizzard, but handy to have.
  15. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

WESTERN Absolutely ! They are just plain simple, dependable and inexpensive to repair when needed. I've owned Western manual angle (way back when ) then 2 Meyers, E-47's, to sloooowww. Then 1 Western 9-0 straight blade and 1 Western V plow ( both fantastic ). After that a Blizzard 810SS, too expensive on every part needed to repair and too complicated, its a plow. Sold every thing except the last 2 westerns which now hook up to the Kubota.
  16. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Only owned one plow so far, Western. I hear good things about efficiency of the Boss V plows, yet the nearest Boss dealer seems to lack people skills. He also "used" to sell Western plows as well. I went there for parts and after I left he tore the Western Plow sign off the exterior of his building. Whole time I was in there he tried to get me to buy a new Boss and junk the Western plow. I was only in there for fluid and a motor gasket. I may have caught him on a bad day, but never know. I left without the fluid or the gasket and never stopped in there again for anything. However I might think about buying a Boss V, but not from that guy...lol.

17. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Only way to go is with a Boss, in my opinion.
  18. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

Only thing I have ever used is my Meyer straight with a E60 pump. Its not bad, but don't have any other experiance so my opinion is no good.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

been running meyer for a long time. would change brands unless i was buying a use vblade
    best addon was plow wings . i know alot ***** about meyer but havnt had problem and easy to fix
  20. HEStufrthnnails

Hey guys,thanks for all the input, and every opinion matters. Keep it coming this will really help evry1 in making important decisions.It could even make the make-or-break difference in a new owner operators business.Cool Guys,and Merry CHRISTmas And the old E-47 was Sloooow.Lol