1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What's your backup?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Hubjeep, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Hey all,
    Been a member here for years, plowing friends and neighbors for barter. For the most part I have declined taking on driveways out of my village due to a lack of backup plow vehicle. I would need a couple dozen accounts to justify a second rig.

A neighbor of mine can cover my few driveways in the even of a breakdown, but I can't expect him to drive far. If something went wrong with the Jeep my customers would be SOL.

Knock-on-wood, the Jeep has been excellent, but I do get anxious the morning of a snow anyway, even though I maintain the Jeep myself, make all repairs, and can weld, but may not be able to make some right away in emergency.

What do you do for backup? I see quite a few sigs with one vehicle.

2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Friends with plows that only do their own driveway and many snowblowers and people willing to run them. It's not possible for me to own a second truck at this point, so I have found many people who are ready at a moments notice to let me take their truck out their to go push
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I sold my back up truck, I now know another contractor that I can hire to cover for me.

I get a good rate as he wants my best account when I retire .

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

94 F150 with ST7.5 w/ pro wings and 241k miles. :help: Please don't let my F350 breakdown.
  5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I keep one complete back up truck with plow. It's not really a backup, but just another plow truck as I use is about 1/2 the time for the bigger snows.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Hoping my Glock will become my backup soon.

The Kimber is getting closer.
  7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Some days I can't tell ....[​IMG]
  8. kimber750

Now that may be a little over kill. Carrying the back up truck around with you. :eek:
  9. kimber750

:gunsfiring: You just keep your distance there Mark. :laughing:
  10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

God is my back up because before every storm I pray to him no one breaks anything! Next year adding a 3rd truck, either a nice gently used one or new and put one of these into a semi retired state, maybe by then all these dead beat customers and maint. companies will be paid up...yeah right!
  11. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I tried to warn you...... :nono:
  12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

LOL I know, I know. I keep getting sucked back into it with all their pleas for help. Lets just say I have a score to settle with certain people around here trying to steal accounts from me. Next year is gonna be fun with no equipment payments,;)
  13. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

My father in law lives in town and has a 2006 chevy 1500 with a 7.5 Fisher. He just uses it for his own driveway and a couple of green houses on his property. He leaves it with the keys in it when it snows.

Thought I was going to have to use it last night but limped through.

Good thread Ive always wondered this question as well.
  14. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I always had a guy that would cover for me but he got a "real" job so he can't anymore. Planning on buying a truck soon.
  15. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I wouldn't send out contracts with out having a "back up" vehicle first...
    Currently, my main plow truck is the Tahoe you see in my sig. The Super Duty is a joint venture with my folks. I own half and they own the other half. It stays at their house 100% of the time and if I have a break down, I just go over and grab the Super Duty and use it until I can get the Tahoe back up and running. Primarally, my folks use the Super Duty to pull their 5th wheel in the summer months and Dad just plows his driveway and my sister and brother inlaws driveway come winter time.
    If something were to happen with the two vehicles I have regular access to, I have a couple real good friends who would either take care of my accounts, or let me use thier trucks to finish them.

All that being said, the bigger picture is keeping an emergency fund so when a break down happens, I don't have to wait to get my stuff fixed.

On average, I use the back up truck for about a week a season. Last season it was because I burned up the brain and control module on my snoway and I didn't have time to get to the dealer (50 miles away) to buy the replacement parts because it kept snowing. All the same, my clients never knew of the break down, because I was prepared...
  16. ihscoutlover

ihscoutlover Junior Member

I am working to set up my 72 3/4 IH pickup as my backup. My main truck will be a 97 K2500 ext LB. Gotta run to my moms cousins to check out some parts he has left over when he used to plow, about 10 years ago.
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Want to sell the IH?
  18. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

We have a 2015 F450 with a 10 boss DXT and a 2008 F250 with a 9'2" VXT daily driver and most comfy. We also have a 2015 bobcat S650 with a 9' V. If I run all by myself on a full 4 inch snow I would take about 14 hours with commercial, residential and second homes we have up here. By running all three together and having a sidewalk guy it takes about 5.5. So the back up is the route taking longer with a truck down. If both trucks are down I could tow the skid with the e350 van (that would suck, but could be done). And if there all down I go to the ranch and get one of the 75 hp tractors with cab. Road speed is 24:eek: never had to do that yet either. Then there's the broken shovel in the shop it might work???
  19. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

We have one spare truck that's wired for a spreader and has an older backup plow on it, as well as 2 backup drivers. In larger storms that truck goes out and pushes to help keep up, and it's also the backup if any others go down.

There's also the salt skid at the shop if needed. It's got a cab and 2 speed for that exact reason. If one of the loaders went down, we could get by, we've done it for several years without. Take the salt skid and throw the old trusty Protech on it and go like hell.

For the most part, our backup for trucks is their routes are a maximum of 6 hours plow and salt from start to finish. So take one of those 6 hours and put each of them onto another truck's route, and we're good. Next year, hopefully Ebling will knock about 2 hours off that total route time. But then we'll just find more work! It never ends...
  20. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If all 6 or a few rigs goes down I can bring in 3 Ag NH loaders from the farm They get used time to time for loading / pushing piles back