1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"What's wrong with these plow guys?"

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by Winter Land Man, Dec 19, 2013.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I feel the exact same way. :nod: I had a dog get hit by a car once. I don't blame the driver, I'm blame myself for not keeping the dog out of the road.

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I look the law up and Here it has be in a Fence in area on private property it cant run free in the city limits

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You would think.
    The cost getting a dog to that level is very close to what they are worth.
    The cost obtaining the pup.
    They have to be 2yr before they get their first title.
    ofa,
    Your time training the dog, gear, travel, club membership (SV)
    A helper for training.
    A handler for European competitions.
    kennel costs, shipping costs
    The grand sager show in Germany alone can cost $15k.

Going to meets and trials in Germany.
    Flights to Germany and the Netherlands.
    Kennel costs
    The big leagues cost $$$$.

Then I like to spend $$ on campers trucks vacations.
    vacation property, travel etc etc...and on more fun dog games.

I have "looked up the law"

No fencing is necessary.
    Your dog does not need to be on a leash when on private property.

Fencing is for keeping you & your dog out, I opted for no trespassing signage.

I guy came on to my property, posted no trespassing.
    I had a young untrained dog, off lead.
    His dog challenged mine and the fight was on.
    He tried to break up the fight and got bit.
    (by his own dog we latter come to find out).

He calls the cops.
    He tells them my dog bit him.
    Even the cop says to the guy,
    His dog does not need to be on a lead, he's on his property.

Off to the hospital he goes
    I fallow with the cop.
    We have pics taken with measurements of the teeth marks.
    We also measure my dogs mouth.

He's talking about suing me for this and that...

The bite is to small,
    His dog bit him.
    Even the cop thinks so...

A week later the cop stops by to tell me that on his fallow up interview that the guy admitted that my dog didn't bite him, his dog bit him.

the moral of the story, no lead or physical restraint is necessary on private property or if your dog will not leave your side while in public.

The laws in most states and towns require owners to "properly confine, contain or control" their dogs at all times.

My dogs know where the line is that I don't allow them to cross.
    If they will stay on private property no leash is necessary.

HAHAHAA

I like how some can turn it into something like I send my dogs out to play in traffic.

Dogs can get loose...
    Dogs can defeat chain-leak fencing.
    Dogs can get loose from kids...

Like I said there is a big difference running down a animal and accidentally hitting one.

If it can be proven you ran it down on purpose,
    I'll be successful suing you in civil court.
    Cameras are everywhere and I can get the data from your vehicle, showing if you accelerated...

Yes, they are costly dogs, but they will not live in a cage because of it.

A guy on here a while back bragged about how he hit a clients dog, packed it in a pile.

There is a big difference in accidentally hitting a dog and doing so on purpose.

Just as there is a big difference in the plow hitting an occasional mail box and going down the line hitting everyone.
    One has an A$$ behind the wheel the other doesn't.

Your to be in control of your vehicle at ALL times.
    (it's the law)
    If you see a animal on the road do you aim for it?
    Do you try to hit that dog?

Not every animal just appears in front of you.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Just a thought..
    How many of you hunt with a dog.
    Do you keep it on a lead?

Has your dog ever run off with you being in control of it while chasing a critter?

wow way off topic,
    I see some moderation in this threads future.

I guess it comes down to the attitudes of the folks behind the wheel if our animals or mailboxes make it.
    I guess some folks lives s-uck so bad they can only feel better at someones else expense.

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I've said it many times and I'll say it again, 99% of mailboxes that get damaged are from snow and slush coming off the plow and wing. I don't know any drivers that intentionally damage mailboxes and only a sick individual would intentionally hit a dog.

6. Antlerart06

That statement shows your ignorance
    My shed dog is on GPS and if he gets to far from me I push the shock collar and he comes back Thats control

My Coyote Dogs has GPS on them and they head for a hwy I'll go and make sure they get across.
    If they get hit its not drivers fault its my fault for not being there.

7. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Same here.

I do not hunt with dogs, yet I do see plenty of Yote hunters here and they are always there when the dogs are crossing the roads. I do not care for trespassers, yet I also care less for those Yotes running deer of the property or even killing them. The hunters around here seem to be respectful to the land (as far as I can tell), so I let them do what they gotta do.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  8. Antlerart06

That's good to know. We run them as a sport and keeps the numbers in control. We run cattle and it keeps them safe on the farm.

9. Snow Business 1

Snow Business 1 Junior Member

You must be a blind dog lover.....the dog should have been on a leash and nowhere near the road. But you're right, today's society is lacking when it comes to taking responibilty for their actions. In this case its the dog owner and you're enabling the behavior by supporting it.

10. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Was plowing today came around the corner and this big fancy puddle thing was standing in the road. Owner was shoveling his drive. He didnt even notice his dog in the street. Had to plow around this dog, Made me think of this thread. Im sure if I couldnt slow down and plow around it. I might be the next bad guy.

11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

12. shooter56

shooter56 Member
    from ct

I plow for a couple that has 2 dogs...seems when I come to do there 1/2mile driveway the dogs are always out and trying to chase my truck. The last storm I went in the driveway the dogs were out as usual getting in the way of me plowing, in front of the truck behind it when I back up, so I turned around this time and drove out. Few hours later the phone rang what happened why didn't you finish the driveway? My reply was your dogs were out again and I almost ran one over this time. I can come back tomorrow if the dogs are inside.

13. Normskiboy

Normskiboy Junior Member

Are their any city's or townships in Northern Ohio that hire sub contractors for plowing?

14. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Probably have better luck posting in the right section.

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

That statement really showes your "ignorance"

If your dog was under "control" it would not have run off, nor would you need gps or a shock collar.

And no one has to stop for a crazy guy with a gun waving his arms while standing on the road,

Your toys are a testament to the littel control you really have over your dog.
    As you just let it go, to fallow it's natural prey drive.

You just need to be Abel to find it after it has run off.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  16. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I also have experience with this subject. I have taken out my share of mail boxes, yet never hit them with the plow. (hell I even took out my own). I have come close to hitting dogs, kids and an elderly man one night. Now no I am not a careless driver, nor am I reckless. They were all due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and some carelessness and no common sense on their part.

The problem is that people just want to blame someone else for their own stupidity. Unfortunataly the plow drivers are an easy target. Just do your best and try to stay safe.

17. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

How did this thread go from town trucks damaging mail boxes and killing dogs to this mess?
    We have arm chair lawyers, champion dog breeders, careless dog owners, tired plow guys, and no moderators in site to clean it up.