1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"What's wrong with these plow guys?"

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by Winter Land Man, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Poster on WMUR News Facebook in reference to a dog getting hit by a plow...
    "What's wrong with these plow guys?? Taking out still mailboxes and now a moving dog??!! I think there should be mandatory laws in place for overtime plow drivers and should be consequences. Though there will be none! What's going on??! Response from the state will be, 'who cares and move on'. Someone has paid for these drivers and it happens to be the taxpayers that pay for not only the negligence of these city plow drivers but the mailboxes and surgery to the property taken out! Thou shall not pay twice for negligence especially for living creatures! There is a leash law that will protect this situation but I do not believe for one bit that this operation is delegated correctly and should have fresh drivers with no overtime for plowing! Hence I could get charged for driving recklessly for driving too tired and this should be applied to ALL!!!"

Manchester, NH had some mailboxes hit by the plow, then a dog got hit by a plow, and on WMUR (NH News 9), there's many people complaining about state and town plow operators. It's pretty insane that they'd think you could stop a truck before you hit an animal. I've hit a deer before, and there was no way I could stop for that.

Any complaints in your state lately? The mailbox situation and the dog situation both made headlines...
  2. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Ok, give em what they want no overtime. Let them pay the overhead for the additional drivers. Or simply no overtime. The snow and ice will melt by the time these ignorant a$s clowns should be out anyway
  3. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

It's pretty insane. They have it stuck in their minds that the plow operator should foot the bill for the dog... but in reality, the guy probably doesn't even know he hit a dog or anything for that matter. People are posting about it all over the place. Almost like an online riot. State and town drivers have been undermined by opinions.

It started with the owner (a veteran) who couldn't afford any of it, and the vet needed the money... it made news... then most people started saying the plow operator should pay for it.

"I hope that they do find support for the dog, but why should everyone else have to pay for it, shouldn't it be up to the plow guy to pay full responsibility for it???"

"Shouldn't the plow guy/girl pay for it? Poor thing.. wish I had money.."

"This is awful :c I agree that the person plowing should pay. It's not like they're very careful either. I have to walk to school and I have almost gotten hit a numerous amount of times already. I really hope the dog gets the money for the surgery. "

"The person driving the plow should be responsible they should at least pay something"

" Carecredit.com can be used for vet bills! Totally agree plow driver should pay but also owner should have been more responsible to be sure their dog wasn't running loose and this could have been avoided! Vet shouldn't be held liable!"

" awwww so sad but the person who hit him should step up and help out..."

"If the plow driver is operating a heavy piece of equipment regardless if the owner violated the leash law you mean to say if it was someone's child its ok to hit them because of impaired visibility?"

"Even though it shows the "goal" has been met, the woman I spoke to told me that it doesn't include the aftercare. The owner is so grateful for everyone's contributions, we can't save the world, but to Molly, we can save hers! Even if the dog was not in a leash & "legally" the driver isn't responsible I feel like the plow driver should pitch in as a courtesy & as a human being who accidentally destroyed this person & his pet"

"Sue the plow!! Seriously!! And not for nothing if its the vet why don't they just do it out of charity??"

"Handle your vehicle no matter what your driving ! I understand this by state law !"

" the freak'n plow guy should pay for this dogs needs WTF"

"i think the owners can sue the driver for that. If i had money id help."

"To me, the person driving; & I don't care if it's a car or a cart w/a horse YOU are suppose to be watching for ALL crossing, or moving on the side of the road. You hit someone or an animal YOU are responsible to be sure all medical care & subsequent therapy for whomever you hit gets back to a good quality of life. Otherwise, you owe them for the inconvenience you have caused them. PLAIN & SIMPLE!!!!"
  4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Its really sad what people say. That is almost as bad as the guy that was mulching running over the sleeping/dead guy and saying it was his fault.

How stupid can the general population be.
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Right on, right on.
  6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Well of course he should...he was the one behind the wheel. Its called taking responsibility for your actions....something lacking in todays society.
  7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

same could be said for a loose dog running around

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Maybe the people complaining should hop in the truck and try it for themselves?
  9. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I find it funny they want dedicated snow plowers who aren't on overtime.... But they will cry when something else get cuts from the budget to pay for it. It's pretty hard to stop a municipal dump truck, especially when you can't see something like a dog.
  10. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I think the owner of the dog has the most responsibilty here, but if i was the dirver i would have thrown in a little $$ just because, but im a dog lover.

Our local guy's turn hitting mailboxes into a game. I have a buddy that works on the equipment, he said they just laugh about it. They tore up about 20ft of my lawn the first snow this year, how they got up over the curb without knowing is beyond me. .
  11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree....xysport
  12. nelandscaper

nelandscaper Junior Member

I agree it's sad the dog got hurt and people should take responsibility for their actions but come on. Make the plow driver pay? Are you kidding? This is why we are a nation of pu$$!es. Common sense would say that you should probably use a leash if it is snowing and there is snow removal equipment around operating but common sense is not common! Maybe the next time I slip and fall getting out of my truck I should sue my customer for not plowing the lot before I got there to plow!

Ok, rant over. I feel better!

Thank God the dog didn't die, I personally would help with the vet bills.
  13. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Let's think about this, an animal runs out in front of you.

You swerve to avoid it and slam into another car or loose control because its snowing and go off the side of the road wrecking your truck.

So now you have to call your clients and tell them you can't plow them because you swerved to avoid a dog or a cat or a squirrel and wrecked your truck.

I'm sure they will understand you did it to save an animal and still pay you for plowing.

nope, that animal is road kill.

I like animals but I'm not taking a chance to wreck my truck.
  14. wils5150

wils5150 Member
    from mass

surprised we dont hear more stories like this in the news. I have to admit spending 20 plus hours behind the wheel of a muni plow or sander isnt the safest thing in the world
  15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

All the people that complain should go for a ride in a plow truck for an entire storm and then they can see what it's really like. We do our best to avoid mailboxes but, some times they get knocked down. I'd say 90% of the mailboxes that get knocked down get knocked down from the snow coming off the wing and the wing never touches the post or box. I had a guy a while back ***** at my boss because his plow driver (meaning me) destroyed his mailbox. What actually happened was the snow that came off the wing hit his cheap plastic mail box and broke it.
  16. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I have a dog and if she got hit id be sad but would I blame the plow driver no I blame myself for not having her on a leash and as for mailboxes dont put a piece of crap out there and blame the county unless they actually hit it and dont call the police when we're cleaning up a lot at 3am and say we're plowing to loud if the guy would have swerved and hit something would the pet owner help the plow driver
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  17. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Can you hit the enter button, or use punctuation from time to time ?

18. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

sorry smartphone has a 2 inch window, sucks
  19. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

People blame the plow driver for what ever they can!

I can relate to this story 100% though personal experience. Few years back, Me and another worker were tag teaming this HOA. I was in front in a Ford F550 loaded with a few tons of rock, being followed by a 350 dump 4+ inches of snow and its like 2AM. We were going like 25MPH, All A sudden I see a what looks like a white bunny coming into the street...
    I angled the blade towards the animal thinking the snow would scare it in the opposite direction when really it just kept running..
    Ended up hitting what I later found out was a dog.. The owner was PISSED! But I just explained that there was nothing I could do! If i stopped I would of ruined 2 brand new trucks.(that wasnt about to happen!) The owner didnt even try to sue me. The dog didn't die, but I'm sure it was injured a bit.. But If you have a WHITE dog and its 2AM and snowing common sense would say put the thing on a leash! Common sense isnt that common...
  20. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

if you would have ruined two trucks by stopping then the second was a little close don't ya think ?